Life Expectancy

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

tack

Life Expectancy

Post by tack » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:07 am

I am considering buying a 1998 American Homestar Benchmark Model Mobile Home. It is in great condition, but I'm wondering how long I can expect the home to last.

rmurray

Re: Life Expectancy

Post by rmurray » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:21 am

Banks tend to finance what is expected to be half life of the collateral..Example: new autos are regularly financed for 6 years because autos are expected to last 12 years with reasonable care. The same car used but 5 years old will only be offered 3 year term because there is only 6 years left in its expected life..
New Manufactured Homes qualify for 30 year finance as most homes do because there are built with at least as good of materials as any home. Expected life of almost any home is 60 years..That should mean the home you are looking at has about 51 years left. Of course there can be hidden problems and as any 12 year old home should be inspected by a professional home inspector who will look past the cosmetic condition and make a report on all the systems of the house. After a professional inspection and with the knowledge you will gain, you should feel good about buying this home..

Eddie J

Post by Eddie J » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm new to this board, but I've read many posts.

I live in a On the Frame modular in NJ. We've lived here for over 20 years. We don't think of it as a "mobile home" or a "manufactured home." We think of it as our home. We've had zero problems with this home over the years. We have replaced the roof & done cosmetic work (and appliances) on the house & not much else. We will have to replace the water heater, soon. It is a 5 year warrantied unit that is 20 years old. Our heater guy says the gas furnace is still good.

The point I'm trying to make is, if the home is set up properly, you take care of it, it'll last as long as any site built house.

marinermark

Post by marinermark » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:14 pm

We live in Fort Myers, FL in a manufactured home built in 2005. We expect it to last as long as any conventionally-framed home. Friends moved here in 1975. Their double-wide house is still in place, as are a great many homes built in the 70s. Homes built in our community in the early 90s are still in fine condition. Homes built after 1995 have been built and installed to even higher standards. Don't worry; today's homes are likely to 'outlive' their owners.