Cheap Storm Cellars

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
RichieMaGoo

Cheap Storm Cellars

Post by RichieMaGoo » Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:14 pm

Hi, Everybody! I recently purchased a used MH here in KY. (my first), and now with tornado season approaching, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for building a CHEAP storm cellar? Getting a hole dug is no problem....but what to put in it? My only idea so far, is concrete block.

gar

Re: Cheap Storm Cellars

Post by gar » Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:34 am

i also looked into this. FEMA has a site where you can download plans. as for cheap I dont know. hope this helps

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:55 am

Most of the cellars I've seen here in Texas are going to cost you at least $2500. That's about the cheapest I've seen. The prices seem to be fairly consistent accross the country, at least in TX., OK, KS, AR, etc. Hope this helps.

Mike
http://www.dissolveyourdebt.com

RichieMaGoo

Post by RichieMaGoo » Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:19 pm

Thanks for the input! No link appeared, but I'm sure I can find the FEMA site via a search-engine.

RichieMaGoo

Post by RichieMaGoo » Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:23 pm

Thanks for the info, Mike. I guess what I am looking for, is just a way to build a cheap cellar.....I know the commercial ones start at around $2500- I've been tossing around ideas like using used railroad ties to make a cellar....or perhaps even using a precast septic tank!(I've actually heard of people doing that!). Right now I'm leaning towards the pre-cast.