French Doors

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
sherryb

French Doors

Post by sherryb » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:19 pm

This is my first time buying a Mobile Home, I don't like the sliding doors I have 2. Can I replace them with standard French Doors? They will look so much better Thanks Sherry

David Oxhandler

Re: French Doors

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:40 am

The short answer is YES..... Some builders offer French Doors as an option. If they don't you can make the replacement after the home is installed.

French doors do not include a central mullion, and allow an attractive, wider unobstructed opening. The French door requires more foundation support and expertise during the home's installation.

You are dealing with a larger unsupported opening, that must be level and square so the doors will swing freely and remain weathertight. The frame requires a weather strip at floor level and where the doors meet to prevent water from seeping in.

Many manufactured home installers have little experience with French doors. I have removed several French doors and reframed large areas of wall and floor around the door opening, due to water intrusion.

There is no reason to not enjoy having a French door. Just be sure to read the builders installation manual or literature that comes from the French Door manufacturer and insist that the French Door is set correctly.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

sherryb

Post by sherryb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear. The mobile home is not new, It was built in the late 70's I just want to take out the old sliders and put in new french doors, any further ideas.. Thanks David for the response

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:22 am

Homes built in the 70s were built to lighter framing standards than todays modern MH. A French door will offer less support to that opening than a Sliding Glass door. The header size may need to be increased and foundation supports added.

Consult with a local carpenter that has experience resizing and re-supporting framed openings.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

jacksonlima

Post by jacksonlima » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:58 am

hi,

the french door and the floors”

“Not sure how practical... but I kinda like the all the doors”

“French casement windows mirror the room's several sets of French doors.”

“8. French doors add more than light. If you are looking for a special feature to add to your home, consider replacing a door or several windows with French doors.

Not only will they let in more light, but the open feel they provide”
“sale ad. "French doors leading to the garden" — now that has a nice ring to it!”

ScottS

Post by ScottS » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:36 pm

First I want to preface that I am not a professional contractor however I do know much about construction. I have a 1971 Holiday Homes MH. It has all 2x4 construction. I removed the original aluminum slider and an adjacent window to add two side-by-side French doors. Before installing these doors I removed the original framing for the slider and window as it was in adequate for the French doors. I proceeded to install King and jack studs with complete headers across the openings for roof weight transfer. The original openings had no headers. Since this project is a complete renovation, the flooring and subfloor have been upgraded as well. I also installed a stem wall along the perimeter of my MH for better side wall stability. You may only need to do this under your door location. Then result was as I expected with no door issues. Good luck on your project.

I have a photo of my finished doors but can't find a way to upload it. If you care to see it, e-mail me at [email protected]

johnhcreamer

Post by johnhcreamer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:41 am

Well, you need to hire professionals who has great knowledge regarding doors and windows. They will suggest you some thing accordingly.