New Home Pine Grove

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Bob88

New Home Pine Grove

Post by Bob88 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:53 am

Hi, about to purchase my first MH Pine Grove single 16x62 This home is brand new and never lived in. I noticed on the web site of pine grove Re; the spec section standard features after; After 9/8/2011/ re sub floor they now use 3/4 OSB. So I called them asked what they were using, on 2010 and they state novo deck 5/8. The reason being they had flood in PA plant that made MH, and moved the manufacturing of the MH, to their modular plant and using up the stock of OBS. They also state on their web site, and was told via phone call the sub floors were APA Certified 5/8, square cut, glued and staple, and been using this board for sub floors for 16 wide homes,for 30 years with no problems. The sub floor is on 16 inch OC joists at 2x8 floor joists. 2x6 wall studs.

Question: Is this a improved update to Novo Deck? All the posts re novo deck are very poor, huge problems etc...I noticed on line another brand of sub flooring Cresdek 3D which stands up to all tests and is a good product counter part of novo deck. Most post re this subject are 10 year's old and I guess the MH were from the 80's 90's.Did they (GP) update the glues to a marine water resistance type? Should I buy this home? In a very nice land lease, park 10 year MFG warranty. The floors are APA which should be a quality sub floor, maybe the ones with all the water issues were from non APA MILLS. This home is set up on a concrete foundation, permanent has dry wall with OSB wrap. Bottom line is should I get a pine Grove after 2011 using 3/4 OSB? Am I in for a many issues with this sub floor? Again this is my first MH home, and hope to have it last. hope to retire in 10 yrs...Thanking all answers or info re this in advance...

David Oxhandler

Re: New Home Pine Grove

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon May 27, 2013 9:50 am

Novadeck and Cresdeck are different brands of the same stuff. They were considered an improvement over particle board back in the early 80s but are a poor choice for floor decking. It is strong except if it gets wet... then it disintegrates.

Read some earlier posts and responces about these products.

If you are buying a new home OSB or plywood are the quality standards for wood floor decking.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Bob88

Post by Bob88 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks for your answer.

I placed down payment good price on home and very low interest, so I will have to decide to cancel, or purchase home built after 2010, with OBS 3/4, or always Check under sinks, water heater, AC drain etc... monthly.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon May 27, 2013 10:46 pm

You will see many posts here with me against Novadeck and cressdeck. Having been in the business for a number of years, I know moisture is a sure problem for them BUT you cannot turn back the clock. A 2010 home is nearly 4 years old and the dealer should be selling at SUPER discount. Remember the rate you qualified for would be good on any newer home as well. But the price should be well discounted for its age..If you proceed with this purchase you should be very aware of future moisture. Underpinning should be well vented and you should watch for condensation from areas were there can be temperature gradients, such as a/c vents, door and window casings. Even be aware of dumb stuff like leaving windows open in the rain.. "steam carpet cleaning" should be done with great care. The list goes on. With proper care and concern there are 100's of thousands of homes with these floors that are decades old..GO FOR IT

Good Luck

Bob88

Post by Bob88 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks for reply; The home I can purchase is dealer financed, hence .05 interest. Its on a land lease very nice one at that, community. From Bank its 6-8-9 % interest in this region of USA. Its has upgraded carpet, dry wall, two fans, cabinets, sky lights, "Green Star Energy" Cert. etc.. Was listed for 90K. At first 100K, will purchase for 75K. If I had to go to bank think I would get a latter model with OSB 3/4 floor, but end up paying at least $40,000 in interest at 15 YRS a tad less at 10. Maybe if the floors go in 8-10 YRS or sooner I would have the funds which I would have paid in interest to place normal OBS flooring and hardwood floors.

Should I have inspection done? It's still is "brand New" never lived in no CO as of yet. will follow the advice on what to check for re leaks.

Thanks again to all who replied...

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Tue May 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Most important consideration for the purchase of any home is location. If this community is great for you, it is true the dealer is offering a deal. That rate sounds great, floors can be fixed. Because of its age most if not all of the manufactured home manufacturers warranty might be over or dated. If so treat it as a used home in your mind and have a professional home inspector. They will advise you of issues that you might have to deal with soon. If all seems well GO FOR IT. I would hire an attorney to review contract and finance documents. He probably will want to verify that they will be titling the home into your name and making them the lien holder.

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Wed May 29, 2013 5:08 am

Make sure the ground under the home is fully covered with plastic and that there is no water standing under the home. Make sure the skirting is well vented. Evaporating ground water is the biggest threat to particleboard floors aside from plumbing leaks. Close your windows when it rains. Pinegrove builds a high quality house, you will likely be very happy with it.

Bob88

Post by Bob88 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks, for your advice, yet again. This home still has the full 10 year manufacture warranty, starting on date I close. RE reply about the title to me and they become lien holder, is huge, I did not think about that. I will have attorney review, Thanks again... I am going to complete the purchase this week.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed May 29, 2013 8:33 am

A 10 year warranty on the whole home is rare..Ask for written copies of all warranties you will have..Read them carefully. There will be separate warranties on roof materials, floor,appliances, heating and air. Almost each component has its own warranty.

Bob88

Post by Bob88 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:51 am

OK I will, ask for written copies its a big booklet states MH warranty. Maybe its the State I am in, and or the Manufacturer, its seems the 3 other parks I looked at, all the new never lived in homes had 10 year on structural damage, appliances from manufacturer 1 year as this one has. Maybe the land lease parks in this region purchase a warranty. That said, I have noted all the advice, written down. Way back in 80's I purchased a new town home, and that also came with a 10 year warranty, I think is due to the State Laws..

.I really appreciate your advice, since its all new to me MH, but I think its a great way to have a real home and not have to rent...