Serial number and Model number lookup?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Marissa126

Serial number and Model number lookup?

Post by Marissa126 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:47 pm

We recently bought a mobile home. Under the kitchen cabinet we found a serial number and model number. Says the unit was manufactured in August of 1979. I'd like to get some more information on the unit, specifically a model name, square footage, things like that.

Where would I even begin to find that info?

tellytot

Re: Serial number and Model number lookup?

Post by tellytot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:28 am

I need to find the seial number on our 1978 champion home ? Not having any luck Any advice

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:20 am

All manufactured homes built after 1976 have the serial number on the backing plate. This is the piece of steel that runs across the front of the home, and to which the hitch would be attached.

The code says that the serial number must be 3/8" in height, and be located on the foremost crossmember, numbers must not be stamped into hitches or draw members.

They may be covered with rust or behind skirting, and difficult to find, but they are there.

The complete serial number, may be either vertical or horizontal. Once you clean off three decades of dirt and rust but you will find something that looks like the picture below.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

missclean

Post by missclean » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Would you have any advice how I can find the serial number on my home ? It is a 1978 Champion double wide on the foundtion. Bought the home in 2003. Trying to refinance. having no luck finding out any info.for proof the home is a 1978. Thankyou

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:58 am

The serial number can also be found on the data plate if it is still with the home. The data plate is an 8 1/2 x 11 inch document mounted inside your home, with several maps of the United States on it.

The Data Plate is affixed in a permanent manner near the main electrical panel or other readily accessible and visible location. Other common locations might be inside the master bedroom closet door, utility or laundry room door, inside a kitchen cabinet or on the backside of a cabinet door.

The HUD (United States Department of Housing and Urban Development) certification label is a red metal label affixed to a manufactured home by the home's original manufacturer. The HUD certification label, commonly referred to as the HUD label, exists as proof that your house was constructed under the Federal Manufactured Housing Program administered by HUD.

The HUD label is a red metal plate intended to be permanently attached on the exterior of a manufactured home, near the rear of each section. A two-section (double-wide) home will have two separate labels.

If you have a HUD certification label, and want to find out more about your home such as the serial number, the date of manufacture or the manufacturer's name,
Request a verification letter from the Institute for Building Technology and Safety Call 703-481-2010. The Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS), as the Department of Housing and Urban Development's monitoring contractor under the Federal Manufactured Housing Program, is required to maintain all reported certification label applications, and has been the sole source of this data since 1976. Get more details at http://www.ibts.org/services/services-i ... ation.html

The serial number may also be found on insurance documents or possably at the local building department's permit records..
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

hoovrn

Post by hoovrn » Thu May 23, 2013 1:40 pm

I have a serial number for my 1985 Detroiter. I want to get an owners manual. How do I get one?

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu May 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Detroiter stopped building mobile homes over 30 years ago. There is no depository for old owners manuals. Tell us information are you seeking aand perhaps one of the old timers here can assist you.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

ricksaut

Post by ricksaut » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:32 am

I bought a property with a doublewide on it. It has been remodeled several times and the only thing I can find is the serial #. I need the make and model. How do I go about finding this out. The previous owner past away and I don't have a title. Any help is appreciated.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:15 am

Start by checking your local building department and tax assessors records. Most towns and counties have these online now.

Call local licensed dealers. Each builder has a unique system of serial numbers. Or give us the full serial number here. Someone with knowledge about the local builders might just recognize the brand.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Sjc1955

Post by Sjc1955 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:42 pm

I have the serial number for my home but how do I get the model number? I can't find it anywhere.