De-title mobile home

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Monika

De-title mobile home

Post by Monika » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 pm

We are in SC, and recently de-titled our mobile home. The retirement of the
mobile home was recorded at the courthouse, BUT at the courthouse it still shows a mobile home rather than real estate.

Isn't the clerk of court suppose to be changing that into real estate by deleting the term "mobile home"? Thanks for any help you can give us.

rmurray

Re: De-title mobile home

Post by rmurray » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:26 am

I am familier with SC. No by turning in the title its ownership is now tied to the land as an imporovement permanently on the land. Ownership is only transfered with the sale of the package. In the future you will get only 1 tax bill, the land and its buildings (the mh). You will no longer get the separate tax bill on the manufactured home..

D PERRIN

Post by D PERRIN » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:06 pm

i have found in this area, the only benfit to detitleing a mobile home is getting 1 tax bill. Insurance, mortgage and appraisal industry in this area still treat as a mobile home.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:38 pm

A manufactured home is always a manufactured home. There is no way to change the status for insurance or mortgage purposed. Every state writes its own rules. In some states you MUST retire the title if the same person owns the home and the land. This prevents taxing discrimination as all homes are taxed alike.

In some states you will pay less over time if the home and land are taxed as a single entity. In other states you will pay less for 2 tax bills. One on the improved land and taxes on the home (Annual DMV registration or "tag" fees).

Contact your State MH Association for the best local details
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Ferg7

Post by Ferg7 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 am

I'm looking to detitle a home as well in SC (Greenville County) what are the going rates and the general process with doing this. I find it quite difficult in SC with getting an attorney to close on the home without it being detitled.. any help is appreciated thanks.