Roof ventilation

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

jad2561

Roof ventilation

Post by jad2561 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:43 am

I have a 1992 Skyline Oak Manor sectional which is 28 x 48. The Coleman Blend Air blower has recently stopped functioning. Two years ago I replaced the Coleman furnace with a Trane two stage unit which is manufactured home approved. It is a great unit by the way.
My question is should I replace the Blend Air blower or are there other options to ventilate the roof? I was considering adding a ridge vent but I was told that there is no intake air from the eaves. The soffits are perforated but whether that is for looks or function I do not know.
Thank you.

David Oxhandler

Re: Roof ventilation

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:21 am

If its not broken why fix it ?
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

jad2561

Post by jad2561 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:33 am

The Blend Air blower IS broken. It stopped running several weeks ago. I do plan on going on the roof and inspecting it.

If I am understanding correctly, the blower draws in outside air and forces it throughout the roof cavity where it exhausts at the gable end of the house.

I am wondering if there are other ventilation options available such as ridge vents, etc. But if there is no air intake under the eaves that would not be a practical solution.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:26 pm

The blower is probably significant to the roof space ventilation or the builder would not have included it in the original equipment. Even if the soffit is vented there may not be sufficient air flow.

Skyline has been a leader in customer satisfaction. You can contact their home owners service department with your question at http://www.skylinehomes.com/?q=node/14

You can also check out http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanBlendAir.html for alternative blowers
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

fredcdobbs

Post by fredcdobbs » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:18 am

I assume you have the Deluxe Blend Air being it has a fan, this provides venting for the attic space as well as bringing in fresh air to the living space,the Standard only brings in fresh air to the living space.For the most part the powered roof vent systems do not require a large amount of overall free area to operate properly, they pull fresh air in to the attic space and exhaust it out at the ends of the house.Coleman only requires a minimum of 17 sq inches free air on each half of each end.My two cents says to replace the fan motor, they are still available.Much easier than installing passive ridge vents for the upper venting requirement and assuring that the lower venting is met by means of vented soffits.

I have a 1994 copy of both Blend Air systems available.

jad2561

Post by jad2561 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:22 am

Yes I have the Deluxe unit. Sorry it took so long to get back to your posting. I agree that it would be the simpler solution to replace the motor. I have removed the unit from the roof.

Because I am only interested in venting the attic space, I am thinking that I could direct wire the blower using a hard wired timer to cycle it on and off.

That way I would eliminate the need for the upper and lower control boards. Seems to me that if it's only function is to ventilate the attic it would seem unnecessary to tie the furnace into the controls. Especially seeing as how I am no longer using a Coleman furnace.

Thanks.

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:41 am

This unit also introduces fresh air into the living space. You will want the fresh air make up to work to control moisture and odors inside the home.

jad2561

Post by jad2561 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:37 am

That is one feature I never understood. My home does not have the pressure balancing damper. So if fresh air is introduced into the house where is it exhausted?

Fresh air has never been a concern as I like to open windows whenever possible.

UPDATE :

I have located a replacement motor at a very reasonable price and I am going to plan on installing it with the timer idea. Much more affordable and logical.

The blower had been set to run 4 hours on, 4 hours off.

I wonder if there would be any benefit or harm in setting it to run on 6 hour cycles? I suppose more frequent air exchanges is the preferred method seeing as how that was the factory setting. Just a thought.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:25 pm

I would restore the system to the same standards and settings as set at the factory. The home builder spent a lot of money on engineering to determine the volume and frequency of air exchange necessary for your home.

Adding a third more running time will probably only get you a higher electric bill and the opportunity of replacing that motor sooner. Climate control has become a growing monthly expense for most home owners. Do you really want to over-vent heat or air conditioning out the roof? More is not always better.

You can find more details on MH heating and cooling at Mobile Home Repair HARV Department
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

nenny

Post by nenny » Thu May 24, 2012 12:42 pm

I purchased a 1979 Marlette two years ago and it has a fan somewhere up above the ceiling. I was told to leave this on all the time but I worry about a motor burning out. Right now it is making a noise like someone is running a lawn mower near by or a helicopter is in the area. Can you tell me if this is a problem, either leaving it on all the time or the noise it is making? I do not remember it making a noise like that before - at least it seems a bit louder than usual.
Also, if it needs to be fixed how do you get to it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.