Walk me thru replacing belly board, please.

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

sandcanyongal

Walk me thru replacing belly board, please.

Post by sandcanyongal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:46 pm

My manufactured home is about 2000 sq feet. Fixed smaller problems with cats getting under the house. The big problem is that after 5 years of high propane bills I went under the house to find the repair company left a duct wide open (fixed). Worse, there are 4 large areas where the belly board was not repaired. So much for the history.
One area has damage 11 feet long and 6.6 feet wide for belly board repair. My questions as a first timer. Some of the questions are how to avoid the gotchas.
Can this be a 1 person job and how do I approach it?
Does belly board exist this wide or should I cut strips and attach them using flex tape or Nashua tape?
When do I attach the insulation using a spray adhesive to the belly board?
What is the procedure and type of fasteners to use to attach the belly board to the edge of the house? Is there measurement allowances?

Thank you for any help you can offer. I'm game to do the job right, a woman, not so young.

fredcdobbs

Re: Walk me thru replacing belly board, please.

Post by fredcdobbs » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:51 am

I would not mess with bottom board, make your belly patches with 1/8" or 1/4" 4x8 luan/plywood panels.Using the thin material allows you to work around penetrations and is much easier to handle.You can friction fit the insulation between the joists or use straps or hangers.If you need to add or replace the blanket insulation you can just tack it to the joists, the minimal compression of the blanket at the attachment points will not have that much affect on reducing the R-value.Overlap the damaged areas,secure the panels with shingle nails or washer head screws to the floor joists and or the rim joist.If you live in a humid area you should paint or seal the panels prior to installing them. Use spray adhesive and Suretape black 2" tape to seal off the patches to the existing belly.Coat the seams with a layer of roofing cement upon completion and you will have a patch that will not fall down.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:22 am

Installing wood below the vapor barrier is not recommended.

Install rolled insulation from below. Once the insulation is in place you can purchase rolled vapor barrier material. The material is called bottom board but is a rolled product woven from high density polyethylene coated with a continuous layer of black low density polyethylene.

This is also install it from below, by stapling it to the bottom of the floor joist as you roll it out, overhead. The insulation is supported by the belly board below the floor joists permitting warm air from the floor ducts to prevent the plumbing under the floor from freezing.

You can find several types or a kit for your exact size home by searching for "bottom board" at The Mobile Home Parts Store

For details about installing insulation under a fllor, and important safety tips see How to Install Fiberglass Insulation and Crawl Space Insulation, from the U.S. Dept of Energy.

Download The Manual for Manufactured Home Repair & Upgrade It has a the best direction in print on how to correctly repair or replace a MH Underbelly
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:28 am

We have removed all the belly paper and it was suggested to wire the insulation in and not replace the belly paper due to mice and rats being able to nest in there and we cannot see them. Just removed all kinds of debris and want to keep it clear. We are now trying to completely seal the crawl space so nothing can get in there. Were we informed wrong about the need for the belly paper?
Thank you

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:39 am

We call it "belly board". If you purchase the correct product it is not paper but a woven plastic fabric that not only supports the rolled insulation in the floor but also, acts as a vapor barrier to prevent moisture from being absorbed into the floor cavity.

I'm not sure how you wire to insulation into the floor?... BUT you must keep the insulation totally supported. If you have wired the insulation under the floor without any thing to protect it from moisture, it will absorb and hold moisture. Without that vapor barrier there is a high potential for moisture accumulation and mold growth in the floor of your home.

You can order belly board by the roll from Complete Mobile Home Supply

To keep creatures from nesting under your home you need a good skirting system. The example home shown below has solid stucco skirting that keeps out all creatures and gives this MH the finished look of a brick foundation.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 am

A sealed crawlspace is a bad idea. Crawlspaces must be vented.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:37 am

The crawlspace under the home must absolutely be vented. Our example home has a line silver of vents built in along the top edge of the stucco. Every building permit department across the country now requires a set amount of ventilation depending on the local climate.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]