texturing my 1978 burlington living room ceiling

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

cudasteve

texturing my 1978 burlington living room ceiling

Post by cudasteve » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:23 pm

I HAVE A 1978 BURLINGTON SINGLE WIDE MOBILE HOME.SOME OF THE CEILING IS SAGGING BUT I FIXED THE LEAK.IT IS THE 14IN WIDE STRIPS THAT GO THE WIDTH OF THE HOUSE.I WAS THINKING OF USING JOINT COMPOUND ON ENTIRE CEILING AND USE A PAINT BRUSH TO MAKE SWIRLS IN IT.KIND OF LIKE A TEXTURED CEILING. I HAVE DONE THIS IN A REGULAR HOUSE BUT NOT IN MOBILE HOME. WILL THE OLD CEILING SUPPORT THE WEIGHT OF THE JOINT COMPOUND? OR WILL THE CEILING FALL ON MY HEAD FROM THE WEIGHT?

David Oxhandler

Re: texturing my 1978 burlington living room ceiling

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:51 pm

I have taped and sprayed texture on several older home ceilings and lived to tell about it. The additional weight of the joint compound and texture mud is relevantly light per sq ft and should not present any problems.

We are renovation an early 70's 12 wide now in which we textured the ceiling 8 years ago. We have some minor hair line cracks at two ceiling panel seams that will be repaired with a paint brush. Other than that it has worn well. You will be surprised how much it modernizes at the way it looks
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

cudasteve

Post by cudasteve » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:17 am

DAVE, RECEIVED YOUR MESSAGE.THESE OLD MOBILE HOME CEILINGS SEEM KIND OF FLIMSY. YOU REALLY THINK THAT SPREADING JOINT COMPOUND OVER IT WILL NOT MAKE IT CAVE IN?I HAVE BEEN DEBATING ON WHETHER OR NOT TO DO THIS AND DO NOT NEED A MORE EXPENSIVE REPAIR IF IT DOES CAVE. JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO. SPREAD COMPOUND ON CEILING WITH A MASONRY TROWEL THEN USE A PAINT BRUSH IN CIRCULAR MOTION TO MAKE SWIRLS IN IT.THANK YOU FOR YOUR INFO.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:20 am

The homes where I textured the ceilings had sheet-rock ceiling panels. We have always used a texture sprayer to put on a light finish layer. I have never tried any trowel applications. .

There are many types of ceilings in manufactured homes. Read this article for some proven methods from the long time experience one of the best known hands on men in the manufactured housing industry.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

fredcdobbs

Post by fredcdobbs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:30 am

Cudasteve, from your description it sounds like you have Amarillo Phase V ceiling panels,very common ceiling material used on units built in the late 70's early 80's.

These were made of a cardboard/cork/paper composite mystery material (picture dropped ceiling tiles) installed parallel to the trusses and were wide crown stapled to the trusses.These were 4' wide with channels at 16" OC or 24" OC the plastic splines were inserted to cover the staples. No way would I mud and knock down on top of that stuff.I would overlay with 5/16" or 3/8" gyp,securing it with screws . I would not use 1/2" gyp due to the weight and the possible overload of the bottom chord of the trusses.

This would be fairly big job but not overly complicated, a lot of little things like wall trim, ceiling trim, light fixtures etc possible ceiling grilles if you have overhead ducts.