River Oaks MBH

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Dan

River Oaks MBH

Post by Dan » Sun Sep 24, 2000 3:07 pm

I have a 1985 River Oaks Home (River Oaks Homes Inc. from Boaz AL). I'm trying to figure out if the manufacturer is still around. I have seen nothing at all on the net out of endless searching about this company. Anyone know if they've gotten bought out or merged with another company if not in business under the same name?

David Oxhandler

RE: River Oaks MBH

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Sep 25, 2000 7:03 am

Hello Dan

I don't know what happened to River Oaks but a search of our data base for builders in Boaz, AL turned up quiet a few "shops" building manufactured homes in that town. I have included that list below, with their phone numbers. A few calls should bring you closer to an answer.

Palm Harbor Homes, Inc. #14
Po Box 640
BOAZ,AL 35957
(205)593-9193

Homes Of Legend, Inc. #2
P.O. Box 699
BOAZ,AL 35957
205)593-9630

Homes Of Legend, Inc. #3
P.O. Box 699
BOAZ,AL 35957
(205)593-9630

Palm Harbor Homes #16
P.O. Box 640
BOAZ,AL 35957
(205)593-9193

Chandeleur Homes, Inc. #1
P.O. Box 557
BOAZ,AL 35975
(205)593-9225

Homes Of Legend, Inc. #1
P.O. Box 699
BOAZ,AL 35957
(205)593-9630

BUILDER-AL
Chandeleur Homes, Inc. #2
P.O. Box 557
Boaz,AL 35975
(205)593-9225

Homes Of Legend, Inc. #4
P.O. Box 699
BOAZ,AL 35957
(205)593-1621

Terry Yazzie

RE: River Oaks MBH

Post by Terry Yazzie » Mon Sep 25, 2000 8:47 pm

Dan , River Oaks shut down their plants in Kansas and Alabama and I believe they filed sometype of bankrupcy in the late 1980's because my parents bought one of their last homes. I hope this is helpful to you terry.

Dan

gotta ? for you Terry

Post by Dan » Wed Sep 27, 2000 9:05 am

One of the reasons i was trying to see if river oaks was still around is i wanted to compare another River Oaks MBH to what i have. I just bought this one a few weeks ago and some things about the construction stike me as kind of odd compared to other homes. Would also like to know how other people like this brand. So, since you parents had one mabe you've noticed enough to tell me a thing or 2.
What i dont get about this place is it has alot of real good stuff, like good strong cabnits(mostly all real wood, no paperboard,and very good shelves compared to most), shutoff valves for all toilets and sinks(even though it is PB pipe with plastic fittings), factory made access panels to access the pipes going through the wall for shower plumbing etc, storm windows outside with insulation windows inside, and extremely high grade plywood for being a mobile home in the floor (wich i noticed when replacing a section due to some water damage). But at the same time, it has a lot of qualities that are run of the mill for MBH's like poor grade 2x4's in the walls, dang near paper thin particle board under the laminate on the counters, poor quality carpet, and my favorite, no access to the water heater at all besides going outside and taking a couple whole sections of the metal siding off the home(always struck me as very strange seeing how access to most everything else is better than most MBH's).
I'm sure some of the features are upgrades, but the compliance certificate doesnt give that info away. Just wondering if you've noticed some of the same qualities in their home. I also would like to know how much they liked theirs if they have had others to compare it also. So far i havent known of anyone else that has a River Oaks home. I have rented a 1968 12x65 2+2(make i dont know) and also a 1975 12x60 2+1 Champion before i bought my 1985 River Oaks 14x72 2+2. It is def a big step up in quality from the old ones, but i dont really know what features were run of the mill standard for the mid 80's to compare this home with.

Sorry this got so long, got carried away.
Thanks,
Dan

Terry

RE: gotta ? for you Terry

Post by Terry » Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:18 am

Dan, My parents home was built out of Hutchinson, Kansas and they are pleased with their home. I asked them recently if they ever had any problems with the home. They told me nothing was wrong with the home only thing is the roof over the livingroom, kitchen, and dining room in this section if you look at the roof line from the outside it saggs down about 4" that's about all and other than that, when they purchased the home from a dealer in Farmington, NM the dealer told them it was on of the best constructed manufactured homes on the market. Like you said this home has real wood cabinets and nice paneling thru out the home and even the door is six panel residential style interior doors thru out the home. It also has double insulated windows thruout the house. They also were told that River Oaks wraps plywood on the exterior siding and applies hardboard siding over the plywood which gives it a strong bond to the sidewalls. The floors are a solid 3/4" touge and groove plywood. Even the outside of the home it has a 12" overhang which makes the home appealing. Even the shingles are residential style shingles that were used on the roof. And another thing is the water heater is placed in the front bedroom in the closet which is such a dangerous location in the house. It takes a while for the water to reach the kitchen in the center of the home and also in the rear restroom. This company also used Maytag house appliances which is a very good brand. I also noticed that it used a 3" crown molding around the ceiling line and a 3" base board thruout the home and also around the doors. I was also told by my parents that River Oaks plant in Hutchinson, Kansas was a highend manufacturer and it had a much higher price tag in the 80's than other cheap brands. My parents still have the brochures of the house if you would like me to photo copy it for you and send it to you I would be pleased to do that. The only thing is you have to e-mail me your address if you like. Other than that, The home has no defects in the materials or the workmanship. The carpet's even the highest grade you can find in the market in those days. The front door's even a real 6 panel steel door with screen door. The dining room also has a real steel atrium doors that's weather tight. Yes the home also has water shut off valves to every fixture thruout the home which really is a smart thing to do. I hope this helped you a little. Good Luck Terry

Hawaiilover

Re: River Oaks MBH

Post by Hawaiilover » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:12 pm

I have 1985 River Oaks mobile home. Located in Indianapolis, IN
. They brought my14x70 home from Boaz to Indy.I looked at my home and LOVED it. Still live in one piece since 1985. 29 years. PRETTY SOON I'm going to renovate all rooms.can't wait!!!!! Any questions, ask me!!!

Hawaiilover

Post by Hawaiilover » Sat May 04, 2019 9:23 am

For Dan.........

You mention 1985 River Oaks mobile home from Boaz, AL. Wondered yours same home as mine. I live in this mobile home for 34 years on same address. Still alive and strong. I love it. Don't you mind to take picture of your front mobile home? I will share mine with you. I can't believe that River Oaks in Boaz, AL filed bankruptcy. They made a SUPER mobile home. That's very sad..........text me at 317-986-9018 to chat. Make sure you mention about River Oaks so I will know. From Kelly Jo.

matt123

Post by matt123 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Wow, I read all the comments or asnswers this is very amazing and very professional.

MTaylor

Post by MTaylor » Tue May 19, 2020 9:23 am

I have a 1984 River Crest by River Oaks. I purchased it used in 1997 for $10K. The prior owner, an elderly lady that lived alone bought it new in 1985 for just over $14K. It is extremely well made. Such a pity the company went out of business or was sold. After looking at multiple new and used mobile homes to replace it due to its age, I have decided that regardless of the cost I am going to repair it. I realize it has by far exceeded its intended life but I love it. It has the perfect floor plan for me, large rooms, plenty of storage, no hallway. It needs extensive repairs due to having moved it from Montgomery, AL to Navarre, FL (4hr trip in 2015), extreme weather conditions, hurricanes, etc. and not having normal usual maintenance and repairs when needed over the years. It needs repairs to the board that surrounds the frame, between the metal frame, subfloor and outside walls. I know that is a difficult repair but I am trying to find someone to do it. It also needs windows replaced, a small section of sub-floor beneath a window that is leaking, and siding replaced. The whole interior needs to be updated (still has orig. shag carpet). Again I love my River Crest by River Oaks. River Oaks was apparently the last of quality constructed mobile homes. There is not one on the market today that can compare with the quality of mine even at its age and disrepair.