roof paint

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

dondi

roof paint

Post by dondi » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:31 am

what is the best roof paint to use on my mobile home i heard that some roofers dont like to use ecostatic because they say it wont let the roof breath.thereby allowing condensation. thanks

David Oxhandler

Re: roof paint

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:17 am

Elastomeric paints are not recommended for asphalt shingles but works well on metal roofs. There are paints designed for painting over shingles.

Manufactured home metal roofs can last longer than shingle roofs with just a bit of inexpensive, regular maintenance. Painting your metal roof surface, the right way with the right roof coating will extend the life of that roof for many decades.

These paint on products protect against moisture and also reflect sunlight to keep your home's interior cooler. They are sold in 5 gallon buckets and generally cover up to 100 sq. ft. per gallon.

I own manufactured homes that are 30 years old that still have their original metal roofs. Our metal roofs have been treated on a three year cycle. The roofs, not only work as well as when new, they look great, freshly painted.

Painting shingles is not a highly recommended repair technique. It is mostly a stop gap while your waiting for a new shingle or a metal roof over. See our article Time to do something about your Roof ? You have a lot of choices today
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

dondi

Post by dondi » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:08 am

thank you for quick response i dont have a metal roof its tar or tarpaper i think what do you recommend i use on that surface

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:15 pm

The tar roof it was most likely, originally, a metal roof. At this point removing the tar would be very difficult if not impossible.

You can continue to build up the roof with more tar but you will need to continue doing that every few years. Eventually the additional weight could become a problem. Metal panels or pans would be the absolute best option.

See: Do-It-Yourself Roof System Kits For Manufactured Homes
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

dondi

Post by dondi » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:51 pm

paint no tar

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:39 pm

You have me a little confused.

You posted that the roof was not metal but tarpaper or tar. Painting over tar, tarpaper or shingles is not a great fix. The best alternative is to put a new metal roof on. The metal roofs are the longest lasting potability and will cost the least to maintain down the road. See http://mfdhousing.com/roof
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

dondi

Post by dondi » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:15 pm

i am sorry i didnt explain it better i only wish to paint roof with sun reflecting paint to keep home cooler in summer i am not tarring there are no leaks roof is in good condition sorry about the confusion