Double Wide Mobile Home Identification

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

scottj

Double Wide Mobile Home Identification

Post by scottj » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Hello,

I have a few questions about a doublewide I inherited from my grandparents. It is in very good condition and I am renting it right now. My question is I have the title but it doesnt mention a serial number or manufacturer, this is a 1971 model. My insurance company requires these things before they will insure it. I have read as of 1976 to present where the ID and tags are but what about a 1971 model. It is on block foundation so that might make it hard if the ID is located on the frame, is there other places in the mobile home it might be located. It has the original circuit breaker box, but not the water heater or furnace. Any help would be appreciated. This house has been well taken care of over the years and I hope to keep it for several years to come as a rental.

Thanks.

rmurray

Re: Double Wide Mobile Home Identification

Post by rmurray » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Almost always the number is on the title...In the 70's most states had 2 titles for double section homes, one for each half..Often folks are looking for the words "serial number" but most titles call it a Vin number..If you see Vin number most likely it will end with an "A" for one side and "B" for the other..The number itself was stamped into the front cross member of the frame or sometimes on top of the "A" part of the hitch..Most likely rusted over by now..Your grandparents old insurance paperwork would have had this info as well..Most often local tax folks also have the make, model and vin number..You did not mention which state you are in..Some state governments have records accessable from the internet..