electrical wiring problem in 95 Palm Harbor

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

GINGER

electrical wiring problem in 95 Palm Harbor

Post by GINGER » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:37 pm

We recently purchased a 95 Palm Harbor 28x74 5bd/3ba, installed new on this lot.
there is no power to the electric switch panel that controls all overhead lights in the kitchen and the master br light in the next room. There was a breaker that controlled it but we have checked and it does not now. It is the only area that has no power. I have tried to locate a schematic for this unit but no luck.Would greatly appreciate any info!! Thank you, Ginger

David Oxhandler

Re: electrical wiring problem in 95 Palm Harbor

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:09 pm

It is possible that the breaker is bad. Have you tried to change the breaker?

Do the effected rooms make up one side of the home?
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

adawnjones

Post by adawnjones » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:21 pm

In 1994, we purchased a new mobile home. We had a similar issue to yours, hope this info helps.

Turns out that the GFCI in our master bath was bad (would not RESET & sparked when we tried). The mobile home dealer told us to replace the GFCI with one from HomeDepot & they reimbursed us.

NOTE: That single GFCI was on a GFCI breaker that controlled the following items:
GFCI outlet in master bath (has TEST/RESET switches) & guest bath (which did not have TEST/RESET in guest bath so we had no clue), the wall outlets on one of our inside walls (which is the tallest wall inside that was exposed to elements during transport to/from manufacturer & dealer before the 2 double-wide halves are joined), and 2 outdoor outlets. What becomes bothersome is that if the GFCI in the bathroom trips, the outlets all go off on that same breaker (i.e., outdoor outlet power, one outlet in living room, both bathroom outlets). If I cannot get the outside outlets to work, I have to run indoors & check to see if the bathroom outlet needs RESET. I would have thought each outlet had its own GFCI trips, but they are all thrown @once, if any outlet in the circuit experiences an issue.

JEANETTEH

Re: electrical wiring problem in89 Palm Harbor

Post by JEANETTEH » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:59 pm

We have power on the netural wires on one side. How do we fix this?

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:37 am

It sounds like you may have a problem with moisture. My exterior lights are also on a Ground Fault circuit. Many times after a heavy rain I find the GFI breaker tripped.

Most manufactured homes include the exterior lights on the same GFI circuit as one or more the bathrooms. Shut off the breaker and see which if not all of the exterior lights wont turn on.

You can - shut off the GFI breaker - then, one at a time, take apart each outside fixture on the circuit, including the lights and exterior outlets and look for evidence or moisture intrusion. Don't forget the heat tape outlet. This can be found on the underside of most MHs at the point where the water cones into the home... usually just under the water heater.

The most likely suspect will be the porch lights at each door.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]