Retire title on manufactured home

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

flmonline

Retire title on manufactured home

Post by flmonline » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:21 pm

We recently retired the title on our manufactured home. We have one mortgage on our land and home, but since it is for sale, our agent suggested we reire the title. So we did. My questions is, are there any benefits to us retiring the title. We live in SC. Will this help with our home insurance or anything else? Appreciate any help here. Thanks.

David Oxhandler

Re: Retire title on manufactured home

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:08 pm

Each state has its own requirements and rules about manufactured home titles. I am not familiar with your state's

BUT... in most states once the title is retired the home is considered a permanent fixture of the real-estate very much like a site built home. The home is then taxed as part of the real-estate and you no longer will have to pay the yearly registration and tag fees to the department of motor vehicles.

Someone from SC.... jump in here with better specifics for your state.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:23 pm

Hope the border of GA and SC is close enough..Once you retire your title you will only have 1 tax bill for your real estate and home in the past you had 2..It does not mean your taxes will be lower but sure a lot easier. Beside that I know of no other benefit to you except they are easier to finance this way..What reason did the real estate peron give you to do this?

flmonline

Post by flmonline » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:47 am

Like you said, it would be easier to finance. I know we have a higher electric rate as a manufactured home and I know our home insurance rate is higher because it is not a stick built home. I just wondered if we would now be able to get a better rate on these, but I guess not. Thanks for your imput.