Ant Problem, Please Help

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

mbt3000

Ant Problem, Please Help

Post by mbt3000 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 am

I have a 1996 single wide with metal on metal exterior. I have lived here for a year and a half. From the time I moved in I have had constant ant problems in the wet areas. I have had an exterminator come out twice. This seems to help somewhat. But the probelm still continues. The pest control man said that due to how the home is made, the ants like to hide in the outside walls. I keep my place clean. What can I do? I am on my last good nerve.

Thanks,
Eric
Edwards

David Oxhandler

Re: Ant Problem, Please Help

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:33 pm

The construction of your home has NOTHING to do with your bug problem. Manufactured home walls are framed just like any other wood-framed home. There is nothing in your home's wall that prevents that contractor form eradicating the bugs

Bugs come to conditions where they find food or water. Over the years I have had manufactured homes with all types of bug infestations, especially in rentals, when folks moved out that had not kept the places clean and/or dry. Each time we have had the homes treated and have rarely had the problem return. When we did the bug man tried alternative treatment 'till he succeeded.

If you are having a problem in wet areas you may be looking at termites rather than ants. Termites can look a lot like ants and are attracted to places in or under a structure where they can find a readily available source of water to go with the wood they like to eat.

When you hire a pest control company it is to remove the problem not to just treat it and then shrug it off or blame it on the homes construction. Sure ants like to hide in the walls. It is winter and inside is a lot nicer place to be. You paid that man to remove the problem. If it was not possible to do because of some condition of your structure he should have let you know that and not applied treatment that he now says wont work.

It sounds like our guy is just not doing the job. Try a licensed and reputable pest control company and don't let them blame your home's construction for their inability to perform the job.

See How to Get Rid of Ants for some excellent pointers and a better understanding of the problem
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Celtlund

Re: Ant Problem, Please Help

Post by Celtlund » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:34 pm

I think you need a new pest control person. We had an ant problem in our home. The pest control man came out, sprayed inside and outside and put out some bate. We had to call him back again and he went under the house and sprayed all the skirting both under the house and the outside of the skirting. He also sprayed inside the house again. No more ant problem.
We have a contract with him to spray once every three months and he guarantees his work. He is a local pest control company and not one of those national companies.