2009 Skyline - Floor Problems

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Farren

2009 Skyline - Floor Problems

Post by Farren » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:28 am

We have a 2009 Skyline 28x80 mobile home that was set in March 2009. A few months after we moved in, we started to notice a problem with the floor that has now spread throughout the entire home. It seems that the floor decking is tongue-and-groove OSB (or something similar) that is perpendicular to the joists. The problem is that the tongue-and-groove seams are swelling and buckling upwards. The worst spots are as much as half and inch above the rest of the floor. They make a lot of squeaking and creaking noise when you walk over them as they flex a lot. Under the linoleum, it's easy to see the ridges running the length of the home every four feet. The problem seems to be worse under the linoleum than under the carpet, but it might just be the carpet padding hiding the problem.

I complained to Skyline and they sent a tech out twice. Both times he went under the home, cut through the insulation and stuck shims in to minimize the flexing and thus minimize the squeaking of the floor. This did nothing to eliminate the ridges and each time it lasted about a month before the squeaking returned.

The third time they sent a rep out, it was a different person. After some lengthy discussion, this person admitted that they had just started using this new flooring product and that if we were to pull back the linoleum, we'd see that the manufacturer of the sheeting had stamped on it that it was NOT to be used in mobile home construction and that it was NOT to be used under linoleum without an underlayment. But, Skyline had done both of those! He then went on to describe exactly how they would fix the problem as if he'd already done it many times before. In short, he said that they'd have to cut through all of the belly insulation, scab in 2x6's between each joist so that they'd be under the tongue-and-groove seams, screw the decking down, sand the seams flat, TAPE the insulation back together, and put the floor covering back down. He claims that the seams are somehow taking on moisture and that is the cause of the swelling. He also said that the seams should have been "gapped" during installation but that they weren't. He said that they'd probably also run a saw down the length of each tongue-and-groove seam to create the necessary gap and that they then fill that gap with some sort of filler.

I have several problems with their proposal and I'm looking for advice on how to proceed:

1) I can't help but feel that this is causing a major loss of resale value in our home and we bought it as a temporary solution that we plan to resell soon.
2) Since the linoleum was put down first, all of the interior walls and cabinets are on top of it. So, they plan to cut the linoleum around the walls and cabinets in order to get to the floor sheeting. Then, they'll put it back down and put a fatter baseboard to cover the edges. This just seems wrong to me. I don't want to have to deal with a fat baseboard....
3) I can't believe that cutting through all the belly insulation and then taping it back together will last very long. I haven't been down there to check it myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if where they've already cut through and taped it hasn't already fallen apart.
4) Like I said, some of the ridges are nearly 1/2" high, if they sand those flat again, there won't be much material left!
5) If it's really caused by moisture getting in it somehow, what's going to prevent that from happening in the future?
6) If this sheeting isn't supposed to have linoleum directly on top of it, what other problems are going to crop up in the future?

In addition to the seam problems, we've had several places in the floor where the staples that hold the sheeting to the studs have worked lose and worked their way up and poked holes in the linoleum. The Skyline reps pulled them out, and dabbed a little glue over the top of the linoleum and called it "good". I wasn't impressed.

I still have a few months left on the factory warranty. This last rep told me that since it was a known and reported issue, they'd "take care of me" even after the warranty expired. However, I don't have that in writing. I'm seriously considering talking to a lawyer about this....

Any advice?

Thanks!

-Farren

David Oxhandler

Re: 2009 Skyline - Floor Problems

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Skyline has historically been an industry leader in customer (homeowner) satisfaction, so I'm surprised to learn about your frustration.

From your description of the problem it sounds like something has gone dramatically wrong. Using any component in a HUD code manufactured home in a manner unapproved by its producer sounds like someone has made a serious mistake. If you are experienceing this level of problems now what will the floor system look like in five or ten years ??

The proposed fix would worry me too. Sanding the joints, scoring cracks between the sheets, slicing and repairing the belly wrap, all sound like experiments in reverse engineering that might leave your home exposed to any number of problems in the future. You will probably have to sign off as accepting any repairs that are made, which might compromise your ability to request additional warranty repairs in the future. If that was my home the only thing that would give me peace of mind would be removing and replacing all of the sheets that were not supposed to be used as floor decking.

A vinyl floor replacement can be trimmed with baseboard or quarter-round trim to look very good when it is done by an experienced craftsman.

Document every conversation you have had with any of Skylines representatives. It is important to put down the dates and the names of the people you have contacted or who have come out to your home. There are set procedures for manufactured housing warranty disputes that you may need to follow and a careful documentation will be necessary. But first contact Skyline's home office and connect with their NATIONAL service manager.

Skyline Corporation Headquarters
2520 By-Pass Road
Post Office Box 743
Elkhart, Indiana 46515
(800) 348-7469
(574) 294-6521

We have been hosting these forums for many years. The number of postings about problems with Skyline products has been extremely tiny compared to most national builders. You may find a very different attitude from the guys at the top then at the local factory where the home (and problem) was produced..

Please come back here and share the results of your contact with us.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:59 am

Most of what what you described is quite common in manufactured homes with OSB floors. Most of this actually happens to some degree in site built homes with OSB floors as well, but is hidden beneath underlayment or carpet pad. The seams should have been gapped and sanded in the factory. Doing that now isn't a big deal. The staple pops are because OSB is not well suited to staple installation because it flexes so much more than particleboard the staples work loose. Most of what was suggested sounds like a standard approach to me, however the part about cutting a bunch of holes underneath does not. This may be a scare tactic used to put the idea in your head that it is more trouble than it is worth. Over the years I have had to make these repairs to many dozens of homes with OSB floors. Continue complaining as David suggests, Skyline has earned a reputation for taking care of consumer complaints in a satisfactory fashion.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:03 pm

Farren,

I regret to hear of the problems you have experienced with your Skyline home and the confusion regarding repairs. I would like to help resolve this issue but will need the serial number of your home to proceed. Please call me at 1-800-348-7469 at your convenience or email me at [email protected].

Regards,

Ronald Foster
Director, Consumer Affairs
Skyline Corporation
1-800-348-7469

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Excellent !!!

Thanks for jumping in here Ron!
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

BILLY

Post by BILLY » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:23 am

I, too would like to thank Ron from Skyline for responding to this customers cry for help. It's good to see that Skyline and hopefully many other manufacturers are looking at this site to see what's going on at the consumer level. Again,Ron thanks for standing up and helping this individual in his time of need. Hey someone at Skyline give Ron a raise...

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:35 am

Buy a Skyline what great service WOW

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:58 am

Farren,
Thanks for sending your serial number.
Our Service Manager Doug Thomas will call you this morning to arrange the repairs. If you wish to contact him please feel free to do so at 1-800-658-1611.

I will continue to monitor the progress of the repairs and am confident Mr. Thomas will correct the issues to your satisfaction.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Sincerely,

Ronald Foster
Director, Consumer Affairs
Skyline Corporation
1-800-348-7469

Farren

Post by Farren » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Just to follow up, Skyline did contact me before I had a chance to contact them. Nothing can be done until we're out from under this pile of snow, but once that's out of the way they've promised to take care of things. If I remember, I'll come back here with an update when it's done.

Thanks!!

-Farren

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:43 pm

We have just seen the best possible reason to buy a Skyline home.

I know this is not a unique situation. During my 30 years selling Manufactured Homes I have heard several stories about down right heroic efforts by Skyline to correct warranty problems. I hope some of you out there living in Skylines will post here and tell us of your experiences.

In this modern era where greed has literally bankrupted our society these are rare actions of honorable people.

GO SKYLINE !!!
David Oxhandler
[email protected]