Heat & air duct pop noise?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Celtlund

Heat & air duct pop noise?

Post by Celtlund » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:58 pm

I noticed several months ago that I would sometimes hear a pop that sounds like it is coming from the ceiling maybe 30 minutes after the air conditioner cut off. It didn't happen every time just infrequently. Now that the heat is on I still get it sometimes. We have overhead ducts and I'm not sure if they are the rigid or flexible ducts. The only thing I can figure is the noise is caused by the expansion or contraction of the duct. Is this something I should be concerned about? The heat and air system is working just fine and I just had the heater serviced but forgot to mention it to the serviceman. Thanks.

David Oxhandler

Re: Heat & air duct pop noise?

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:45 am

Most of the ducts should be ridged.  The cross over between the homes sections is probably flex.  Expansion would be the most likely explanation.  There could be a disconnect or a section that has come loose along the duct system.  Most of the time you can inspect duct work by putting a flashlight inside one vent and using a mirror in the next vent in line to see what's going on between.Repairs in the ceiling are more difficult then in the floor.  Ducts in the floor can be accessed from under the home.  To get at ducts in the ceiling you have to go in thru the roof ***NOT RECOMMENDED*** or thru the ceiling.  Repairing the duct most times is a simple matter of pop riveting or taping.  This leave you with the problem of cosmetic ceiling repair.  See this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to repair a plaster ceiling.

"Homes that don't have sheetrock ceilings probably have tile or ceiling board. The ceiling tiles are generally 16" or 4' wide and run the width of the home. Some types of ceiling tiles are held up with screws and rosettes. Other types are screwed up at the seams and then the seams are covered with a plastic spline." If this is the case in your home see Manufactured Home Ceilings - Repairing or Rebuilding by Mark Bower
David Oxhandler
[email protected]