How to replace Manfactered with new Manufacter or a Modular on Basement Foundation

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

soyasee

How to replace Manfactered with new Manufacter or a Modular on Basement Foundation

Post by soyasee » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:01 am

Hello,

My husband and I found a piece of property for sale that has a Manufactered home on it which sits on a basement. It was built in 1970. We are thinking about buying it but was wondering how difficult it would be if we wanted to replace the Manufactuered Home, how would be go about doing it?

We would probably like to replace it with either another manufactured home or with a Modular, if it's possible to do, instead of tearing it all down and starting over. Do you know if this is possible?

Any thoughts or opionions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank! CW

rmurray

Re: How to replace Manfactered with new Manufacter or a Modular on Basement Foundation

Post by rmurray » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:32 am

Surely the foundation was added long after the home was first placed. This 1970 mh would be almost impossible to get a mortgage on. I would suspect a 30 plus year old foundation should be inspected by a qualified engineer to see if it is ready for a replacement home and if so what would have to be done to use it. Expect to spend a few dollars now to get qualified answers to your question to save tens of thousands later. Foundation mistakes can be a total loss..

foundationcerts

Re: How to replace Manfactered with new Manufacter or a Modular on Basement Foundation

Post by foundationcerts » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:37 pm

CW:

This sounds good in theory but the odds of getting a 1970 MH Foundation to fit exactly to the dimensions of a new MH is probably not going to work. Even if the foundation was structurally sound, the dimensions probably wouldn't jive.
--
Ed Harrison, PE
Foundation Certifications
Engineer Permanent Foundation Certifications for FHA/HUD, and VA Loans
http://www.FoundationCerts.com