Re. Mobile Home Title

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Pastor Evans

Re. Mobile Home Title

Post by Pastor Evans » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:23 am

I have a church member who financed a mobile home, paid off the loan, but did not get a title. He he took out an equity loan later on the land and this included the Mobile home (the company required insurance on the home). It is not clear if the title was transferred to the new finance company, which may have assumed it had been converted to real property status. Still he did not get a title when the home was paid off the second time. Now he wants to sell the Mobile home but cannot get a title because the first company (out of Wisconsin) is out of business and DMV want him to furnish proof of that to their satisfaction!

Can I do a title search anywhere to find out what the DMV has on record as far as lien holder are concerned, to try to help him? If so how?

What can he do?

Thanks!

Pastor Paul

David Oxhandler

Re: Re. Mobile Home Title

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:01 am

You dont say where you are are located. Each state has its own rules and regulations involving MH titles. Some states "retire" the title once the home is attached to real property. Other states require a title transfer on each sale regardless of the status of the land under the home.

In Wisconsin According to state law, a manufactured home title is not needed when:
" The owner of a manufactured home that is situated in this state or intended to be situated in this state is not required to make application for a certificate of title if the owner of the manufactured home intends, upon acquiring the manufactured home, to make the manufactured home a fixture to land in which the owner of the manufactured home has an ownership or leasehold interest...." Source: WisDOT http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/ve ... e-home.htm

If you are in Wisconsin The Safety and Buildings Division provides various scenarios concerning what you might wish to accomplish. They are accompanied by note of what information you need to submit to complete what you want to do. For more information, contact the manufactured home email group, [email protected] You can find S&B Information on Transactions Involving Manufactured/Mobile Homes online at http://www.commerce.state.wi.us/SB/SB-F ... Forms.html

If you are NOT in Wisconsin let us know what state the home is in and we may be able to give you more information... or contact your local DMV and find out what the local rules are. In most state there is a system where you can trace title registration. Again the local DMV office would be the best place to start.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

steveandsons

Post by steveandsons » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:58 am

Hello my name is Steve my family and I are in a very bad situation our park manager is wanting a clear title that is in either my name or my wife and I when I purchased the mobile home from the previous owners in order to do that I had to pay off is debt that he owed to the park which was his water bill and all his back ground rent other wise the park owner wanted the mobile home removed I asked the owner if he had a clear title and he informed me that he had the clear title so I went ahead and proceeded to pay his debt and pay my fees to be able to live in the park after I paid the debt and my fees i met up with the owners of the mobile home to pick up the title I took the title to the dmv to have it transfered over in my name and they informed me that there was a lien still on the title I am unable to locate the bank which is The Bank Of Baltimore to find out if there is still any money owed the park manager told me that I have 30 days to give them proof that the title is in my name or I have to leave the property and still have to pay the ground rent until I have the title switched I live in Maryland Harford county Aberdeen I am really scared that me and my family is going to be put out on the street if anybody could please help i would greatly appreciate any help on being able to straighten this mess out I tried to get help from the dmv they told me that I have to get a release from the lien holder but I cant locate them because the bank is know longer in business I only have until the 20th of this month to get the title switched thank you in advanced take care and god bless Steve

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 am

Steve -

From Wikipedia

"The Bank of Baltimore is one of several predecessor banks that were eventually consolidated by Wachovia. The purchase of Wachovia Corporation by Wells Fargo was completed on December 31, 2008. Wells Fargo purchased Wachovia after a government-forced sale to avoid a failure of Wachovia.

Starting in 2009, the Wachovia brand is being absorbed into the Wells Fargo brand, in a process that was initially estimated to last three years. In July 2009, Wachovia Securities became Wells Fargo Advisors. The merger of Wells Fargo and Wachovia bank charters is scheduled for completion in March 2010. States containing both brands (not converted already) will convert in 2010 and all remaining branches will re-brand in 2011 to the Wells Fargo brand."

So the original lien holder has been absorbed twice by other banks. This will take some serious work and time to resolve but it is not imposable. You can try to find the nearest Wachovia branch or a Wells Fargo branch that was Wachovia and make an appointment with a manager. Bring a copy of the title and lien and ask for help to work through their corporate offices finding the one that holds your lien registration.

You can also contact

the Manufactured Housing Institute of Maryland
P.O. Box 78, Pinto, MD 21556
(888) MHI-OF-MD
(301) 729-3011 fax
[email protected]
www.mhiofmd.com

Perhaps someone there, with long term memory of the local MH business, can assist you to find the correct lender office.

The bigger problem you will run into is that if there is a lien then there is money owed on the home. In order to remove the lien someone will have to pay it off. Even if you pay off the lien you still must get the seller (or whoever's name is on the title) to sign off on a title transfer.

In most states selling anything that has a lien on it, with out satisfying or disclosing that debt is not legal. You really need some professional legal assistance to get this worked out without perhaps paying twice for the home, and still not legally owning it.

A manufactured home title like a car title legally must be transferred with the sale of the home. Do you know where your seller is now ? If not I would contact the state attorney or the office in your area that handles consumer fraud.

Once you get that started appeal to the park owner (not the manager) for an extension to permit you the time to work through this
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

sonia

Post by sonia » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:22 pm

I have the same problem about the missing title. I live in Virginia when I brought my mobile home it was on land and I made it real estate. Now I want to sale the mobile home to get a new one and I can't get a title. I have been to DMV several times and they have not been able to help me, they have no record of my mobile home. I am having a hard time getting read of it without the title.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:54 pm

TRY:

Virginia DMV DIRECT - Telephone Services

Hours

Monday through Friday -- 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (et)
Saturday -- 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (et)

Telephone (804) 497-7100
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

sonia

Post by sonia » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:10 am

I called DMV Direct they could not help me.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:14 am

Did you purchase the home form a licensed dealer?

What did you get int he way of paper work when you bought the home?
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

pray3445

Post by pray3445 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:48 pm

My husband and I purchased a double wide mobile home, I think it was in 1974 from a mobile home dealer that was going out of business. Davis Mobile Home sales. The double wide was financed and long since been paid off. I live in Kentucky. My property tax bill just says property and older mobile home. I have never thought anything about it. In January I was layed off work at a job after 19 years. I am handicapped I have to use a cane. I am 62 years old. My electric bill is so much. The double wide is old and is not insulted very good. Its a Marlette. The dmv said they have no record of a title for double wide. I need title our local community action program said they can get the double wide winterized for me since I am drawing unemployment but I have to have the title. Is there anywhere on the inter net that you can put in a serial number in and find anything. we have found a tag that says if was Georgia Inspection # 369316. Have found two other numbers that might be s/n but don't knwo. An aging lady that lives along and needs help.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:04 am

"If you have lost your original Kentucky title, you must apply for a duplicate title. Application is made at your local county clerk's office. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet prints the title the following work day and mails the title to the owner. Duplicate titles cannot be picked up on a walk-thru basis.

Application for title/registration (VTR form # TC96-182 [PDF - 61KB]) must be completed, signed by all registered owners and notarized. Persons that have power of attorney for the owner(s) may sign, but a copy of the power of attorney must be submitted with the application. If County Clerk staff notarizes signatures, identification must be presented.

Note: Titles that contain AND (instead of OR) between names of owners requires signature of all owners.

If the application is for the purpose of applying for a loan, the owner needs to indicate this on the application. A pending lien will be noted and the owner will be given a goldenrod copy of the registration to present to the lending institution. The lending institution will use the registration and a Title Lien Statement to record the lien.

Fees:
Title Fee: $6.00.
Notary fee: $2.00 (if applicable)

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Title Branch will print the duplicate title the next business day and mail it to the owner. If a pending lien is filed, printing of the title is held for 30 days."
(Source:http://countyclerk.meadecounty.ky.gov/m ... ptitle.htm)

For more details contact your local county clerk's office
David Oxhandler
[email protected]