Replace metal skirting (with hardy board) before painting exterior?

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Mary999

Replace metal skirting (with hardy board) before painting exterior?

Post by Mary999 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:45 pm

We have a 1974 double-wide whose paint (light green) is fading and oxidized. We have metal skirting (about 15" wide panels) all around the house, except for a deck area.

Our handyman repaired the deck and needed to build a new section. When it was time to cover that area, he used hardy board (I think that's what it's called, very hard and solid) to cover it instead of skirting. He has offered to replace all the skirting surrounding the house with this material, "anchoring" it down to 2X4's of redwood laid at the bottom to hold it in place.

It is difficult to decide whether to change this skirting to this. The skirting is unsightly, needs painting in places, gets crooked, etc. The hardy board just sits there, so it's an improvement! The handyman would of course add entry areas and ventilation areas, if he did this job.

We want to have the exterior of the home painted, so we'd like to make a decision soon. Both types of skirting can be painted, so that's going to be part of the job.

Any opinions on this switch-to-hardy-board would be appreciated.

We are in sunny California, so snow is not a factor, but it does get very hot and freezes in the winter. As it is now, the floors get warm or cold depending on the season. Would the hardy board help with this also?

Thanks for reading this lengthy post. This forum has always been very helpful to me (a first-time owner).

David Oxhandler

Re: Replace metal skirting (with hardy board) before painting exterior?

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:18 pm

I have not seen Hardiboard used as skirting. There are a number excellent products that you can use that will give you the durability and style your seeking.

Hardiboard is a concrete type board but System-1 skirting is not an imitation or a look alike... it is 100% solid concrete.. It resists the heat of Texas and the harsh winters of Minnesota. Take a look at http://concreteskirting.com
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Mary999

Post by Mary999 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:07 pm

Thank you for replying, David. We really don't wish to purchase a concrete for skirting. I doubt if there is anyone local (we live in a small town), and I don't really like the look of concrete. It seems like a bit of "overkill" to me.

You say you haven't seen hardiboard used as skirting. Do you think it could be, or is our handyman very off base?

Can you suggest other materials that our handyman could get locally (we have a Lowes and Home Depot here) that he could use to replace that awful metal skirting?

Thank you for replying.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:35 am

I wish I could give you a better answer but as I have had no experience with Hardiboard I cant really tell you the pluses or minuses. Perhaps another reader has had some experience with Hardiboard and can comment.

Here in Florida, where like California, we also are excused from winter most years, the highest quality skirting is hand applied stucco, which can be made any color or pattern. I have red brick under my home and a home that I have for sale (below) and it looks outstanding...

David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Mary999

Post by Mary999 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:47 am

Gorgeous house and setting, David!

How does one get any color or pattern in hand applied stucco? Does it have a product name I might research at Home Depot or Lowe's?

I have come across Stonecote, which has a brick pattern. Perhaps this is it.

Thanks again for the information.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:07 am

The stucco is hand applied. Fist lath wire is applied around the base of the home and then three layers of stucco (concrete with out rock) is applied. Color is added to the The final layer by mixing in a colored powder into the concrete mixer. It is applied and the brick pattern scratched in with a special stucco tool. The stucco contactor can make it look like brick a variety of rock or block patterns or just textured, colored concrete.

This is only an option in southern climates where frost heaves are not a concern.

The most critical part is hanging the lath wire right so the end product wont sage if too loose or crack if too tight, and adding adequate ventilation. Look in your local yellow pages or contact local dealers for a stucco contractor who has done skirting before.

Stonecote is a pre-cast panel product available in three designs. Manufactured with two inch polystyrene and covered with a hard masonry facing. A sheet of fiberglass mesh is installed between the layers of masonry.

It is probably best to investigate all options and get competitive prices.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

KareninLV

Post by KareninLV » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:56 pm

I think maybe what the handyman was calling 'hardiboard' is just the sheets of siding that most mobile homes have on them, mine does, they come in 8 ft. sheets at Lowes or HomeDepot for $20 each, they have a vertical wood grain pattern....Most of the MH's in my park use that, for the skirting as well. I think it is just a pressed wood product.....The real Hardi board is extremely heavy due to the cement in it.
Hope this helps....
Karen in Las Vegas

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:20 pm

In Florida this product is called "Cut Brick"...It is hand applied stucco in multiple layers with the final layer hand sculptured "cut" to look like brick..I used it often when in Florida but was very disappionted when I moved to GA and no one had ever heard of it..The stucco person has to be somewhat talented...

Hardi Board is commonly used for skirting...It is in my area of GA..Most often the materials are bought from Lowes..The following link to to a discussion board at the Hardsy web site:

http://www.jameshardie.com/dealer/produ ... k3&qid=1#1

It has only a 50 year warranty..

Mary999

Post by Mary999 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:54 am

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Question: Can the Hardiboard be cut to add the required venting every 15 feet or so?

Also, will changing the skirting from metal to Hardiboard (or T-1-11 or something) help insulate under the home? The floors (which are carpeted but the carpet was here and seems pretty dated) are pretty cold in the winter and too warm in the summer.

We are changing nevertheless, as the metal skirting is so so ugly!!!

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Venting is no problem..Those of us in the business like to see folks take pride in their home as you are doing..Underpinning is not an insulator...The insulation is in the floor and might need updating...