Replacing rusty pipes with CPVC

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
sharpf

Replacing rusty pipes with CPVC

Post by sharpf » Wed May 07, 2008 10:53 pm

Well, a couple of months ago our water heater was replaced. At that time, the plumber ended up replacing the flex pipes to the tub/shower behind it because they broke when he tried to remove them, with PEX. After all was put together, the only fixture that had hot water was that tub/shower! The rest of the hot water lines were clogged with rust.I am now going to replace the old galvanized pipes with CPVC for longevity purposes and ease of installing myself.

My question is in regards to this, the plumber connected the new hot water out copper feed line from the water heater to the old galvanized pipe that went under the MH. Can I connect the CVPC to the copper pipe or do I need some sort of special connection?

Love this site, so much good info. Just hard to find sometimes even with a search. So, please forgive if this was answered before. Went through 66 pages before giving up and asking!

Thanks!!!!

rmurray

Re: Replacing rusty pipes with CPVC

Post by rmurray » Wed May 07, 2008 11:44 pm

Someone will have an answer for you..Stop in here often...

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu May 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Call a local plumbing supply or try Lowes or Home Depot in the plumbing fitting section...there are compression fittings specially made to connect copper to CPVC. Theyt are easy to install and fairly inexpencive

Be aware that many home copper or steel water pipe systems were used as grounding for electrical wiring. CPVC is not a good conductor, so changing to it may change your grounding system. Check with an electrician if you think you've broken the continuity of your electrical grounding.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

sharpf

Post by sharpf » Fri May 09, 2008 12:12 am

David Oxhandler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Call a local plumbing supply or try Lowes or Home
> Depot in the plumbing fitting section...there are
> compression fittings specially made to connect
> copper to CPVC. Theyt are easy to install and
> fairly inexpencive
>
> Be aware that many home copper or steel water pipe
> systems were used as grounding for electrical
> wiring. CPVC is not a good conductor, so changing
> to it may change your grounding system. Check with
> an electrician if you think you've broken the
> continuity of your electrical grounding.

Hi David,

You are so right,

I did notice wires screwed onto the pipe, but I think it is the cold water, and that would be fine, since I am only replacing the hot. I think I will take a photo of the present configuration and post it here and take to Lowe's/HD. When the plumber had taken off the old rusty pipe connection from the pipe coming up from underneath the house, part of the threaded portion broke off and he was afraid the new connection would not hold but leak. Well, he put enough pipe tape on it and it worked. Since that is the connection for the hot water, it will have to go and that is the connection I am concerned to connect the copper and CPVC.

On another thought, I discovered that each of the pipe connections under the house under each sink has a 2 x 4 between two joists as a support. This is nailed in and very solid (not bad for a 1976 model). I will either have to cut that out and replace after putting in new pipe, or find a way to work around it. Do you think this should be left in place, or can I remove to replace the pipe?

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing your reply!

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri May 09, 2008 3:00 pm

I have never seen the configuration your talking about so I'm not sure what function the 2x4 serves... If it appears to be holding up anything other than the galv pipe then I would not remove it... if it appears to only be holding the weight of the pipes then I would also probably leave it in place and work my new plumbing around it. Any support or structural components that have been there since your home was built over 30 years ago probably wont be easily removed without cracking or splintering what ever it is nailed, screwed or stapled to. As a general rule we let sleeping dogs alone so they have no opportunity to bite
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

sharpf

Post by sharpf » Sat May 10, 2008 9:50 am

Thanks David,

I think the board may be there for protection, and maybe they thought down the road, if it did any sagging it would not sag to far.

As for the connector to the copper pipe in the water heater closet, I did not find any compression fittings, but I found a CPVC to metal pipe adapter with a brass male fitting on the metal end. Is this the fitting you are talking about? It seems there are so few people in HD/Lowe's any more. Couldn't find anyone there to ask.

Thanks!!!

sharpf

Post by sharpf » Sat May 10, 2008 10:05 am

In fact, here is a link to exactly what I bought. Please let me know if this will work properly!

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-33 ... 01536.aspx

Thanks again!!!!

sharpf

Post by sharpf » Sat May 10, 2008 12:51 pm

David Oxhandler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never seen the configuration your talking
> about so I'm not sure what function the 2x4
> serves... If it appears to be holding up anything
> other than the galv pipe then I would not remove
> it... if it appears to only be holding the weight
> of the pipes then I would also probably leave it
> in place and work my new plumbing around it. Any
> support or structural components that have been
> there since your home was built over 30 years ago
> probably wont be easily removed without cracking
> or splintering what ever it is nailed, screwed or
> stapled to. As a general rule we let sleeping
> dogs alone so they have no opportunity to bite

Well, I went under to follow the kitchen pipes because they seemed to keep going toward the center of the house. They go over the support beam and then a few inches then turn to go to the back of the house, the water heater, and two back bathrooms. I determined I will not follow that path, since I discovered the two pipes are secured together every so often to make them stabalized. When I disconnect the hot water pipe, I will just leave it where it is, it isn't hurting anything. I will then run the CPVC along the support beam and use the little support brackets I bought to secure to the underfloor. As soon as I find my camera card adapter, I will upload my photos I took and send you the link.

Now, the fun part is going to be getting the connection over to the washing machine which of course is in the middle of the house on the other half!

Look forward to your answers!

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun May 11, 2008 8:56 am

There is no reason to remove the old pipe. You can run the new pipe where ever it is easiest and makes sense. Here in Florida we can hang them under the belly wrap or even run it on the ground under the home. If your in the north where you need to be concerned with freezing you will need to route your new plumbing on the warm side of the insulation.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

sharpf

Post by sharpf » Sun May 11, 2008 9:34 am

Thanks David,

Please comment on my other post where I put a link to the connector I bought, as to whether this is the correct one to have gotten!!

No freezing problems here, I am in the Phoenix, Arizona area. I do not think I would run it on the ground though, gophers and other critters get under there and I would not want them screwing it up!

Thanks again!