Quadruple Wide Manufactured home

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Junehenderson

Quadruple Wide Manufactured home

Post by Junehenderson » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:57 am

Has anyone ever heard of a manufactured home with more than 3 sections? Like something with 4, 5, or even 6 sections? Would this be "safe" to make or transport? Reason for the question is that a Silvercrest Rep told me that they were building an eight section home and that if you want something truly "custom" Silvercrest is the way to go.

Also, does anyone have experience with these things called "tag rooms" or tag ons"? Who makes them?

Thanks,

June

David Oxhandler

Re: Quadruple Wide Manufactured home

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:10 pm

Multi-unit homes are becoming more and more popular as price point moves manufactured housing's popularity forward. There are manufacturers that are building multi-section 2 story homes, where the sections are stacked on top of each other on site.

Tag units have been around for a long time. They are in most cases an additional room and are not as long as the rest of the home. This gives the home the interesting characteristic of an "L" shaped section and removes the traditional rectangular profile of the manufactured home.

Silvercrest is a very high rated builder. You could probably not do much better. Ask your salesperson to arrange a factory tour on a day when a home greater than three sections is coming off line so you can see how the homes are built and the possibilities of their end product.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:56 pm

I sold 4 section quad wide homes with over 3200 sq. ft over 10 years ago..The technology is there and has been...When I worked for Palm harbor they showed a home in the International Home Builders Convention that was over 13,000 sq feet with many sections on multiple floors...This PLUS $1,000,000 house had a $50,000 staircase...Basically factory built can be as large and opulent as your pocket book can stand...

Junehenderson

Post by Junehenderson » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:34 am

Thanks for the feedback!!! Hey Mr. Murray would you happen to have pics of that, I sure would love to see it! Also David, what I like about Silvercrest was that I read that they were great builders BUT he sales rep told me that they can not put the vents in the ceiling. However when I spoke to a Palm Harbor rep and Skyline rep THEY DO put the vents in the ceiling (which is better if you have very small children and are in Southern California). I didn't understand why Silvercrest is not able to do this given their reputaion....any thoughts on this?

Thanks

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:59 am

All other factors being equal, the best location for your air/heat vents depends on the climate you live in. If you are in a northern area that gets cold winters and your greatest expense is heating, floor vents will save you money as warm air rises from the floor to fill the room. If you are in a southern location where air conditioning is your greater expense then ceiling vents will save money as cold air will drop to fill the room.

If either situation is reversed your blower will have to work overtime to keep the air temperature comfortable...example if your cooling with floor vents it will be very cool at floor level and your A/C will have to work harder to get the cool air up where you want it.

Manufactured housing is proving to have many benefits that come from assembly standardization. Most factories have to pick a single standard for duct work... either overhead or in the floor.

I am in Florida and Silvercrest is exclusively build and distributed in the west so my experience is limited to what I have read about them, and I must say it has all been very good. They do have 2 factories and your dealer probably only deals with one of them. Here is the factory contact info

Corona, California 1-800-382-0709

Woodland, California 1-800-264-0010

Give them a call and find out for yourself what is possible. Ask if they offer factory tours and see for yourself how their homes are constructed

I understand the problems of children and floor ducts. I had both at the one time and I'm here to tell you that crayons dont do well in the duct work with the heat going. But again, that is only one factor in your energy efficiency. Compare all of the building features and particularly the insulation package and upgrade insulation where ever possible. This will be an investment that will pay you back many times.

Palm Harbor also makes an outstanding product. Skyline is one of the oldest builders around. The have plants across the country and build everything from the most basic to the high end homes. When you consider Skyline, or any other builder, be sure that you include plywood or OSB floors.

For a highere education consider The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes - This book rates every Manufactured Housing Builder's products, price ranges, construction ratings & more. See more details HERE

Here are a few photos of 4 section manufactured homes.

David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:03 pm

You can find a few interior shots on this web page..The staircase is there..Too bad there are not more here to see...It had a great-room with a 39 foot ceiling height and a stone fireplace all 39 feet floor to cieling...

Good Luck with your quest..

http://www.nationwide-homes.com/

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:02 am

The main reason you won't find overhead duct work in a Silvercrest home is the custom nature of the product. When you look at Silvercrest designs notice that most homes have multiple roof pitches and multiple sidewall heights in the same home. This means that the attic is a much less uniform space than most homes. Bends in ductwork greatly reduce the efficiency of the heating and cooling system.

Junehenderson

Post by Junehenderson » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:53 pm

Thanks again to everyone. David and Mr. Murray, those pictures are totally beautiful! I have teh rewards for the 2007 MHI and I must say that the ideas, the concept homes and the homes in production were totally amazing! I wish that someone was in there from California. Yes, I agree that in Southern California the ducts should be in teh ceiling because it gets so hot. Thanks trmimo for the elaboration on Silvercrest. I was wondering about that. So maybe Skyline can do something custom!? Who knows!!! The possibilities are endless!

Thanks and if you all come across anymore pics let me know. Oh and David I have the Grissom book and love it! I am so glad that he took the time out to do it. Is there a new edition coming up? Oh and who is the manufacturer for those pictures that you posted David?

Anyway, thanks again!!!