what are the best brands of mfd homes?

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
helena

what are the best brands of mfd homes?

Post by helena » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:31 pm

I am considering a new manufactured single wide, are Friendship Homes good?I have a local choice between them, Champion,or Kit Home Builders West. Does anyone have experiences with any of them?Thanks to anyone who responds :)

rmurray

Re: what are the best brands of mfd homes?

Post by rmurray » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:52 pm

Helena;

There are many different homes in the market place..I am in the Southeast and have not seen any of these brands. "Best" is in the eye of the beholder of course the very best built and best equipped are higher price, so pocketbook comes into play in your answer..

One thing you can do is search these forums..use the search button on top of these posts. I found 19 post referencing Friendship Homes alone...There will be more for the others...Be sure you set the search function to search for "ALL dates"..

Better yet you can visit the bookstore here and buy the book titled "The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes"

It describes and compares and rates ALL builders in the US...It is a very small investment in knowledge when compared to the overall costs involved...

You can find it here:

https://ssl.xpr.com/mfdhousing/mfdcart/ ... de=&sesid=

Good Luck..

mcglyph

Post by mcglyph » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:26 pm

I have done much looking, and have actually stood inside a Palm Harbor.
They also I believe are the only manufactured home that has repeatedly
withstood hurricane force winds. Look around, I'm pretty much set on
one myself. Does anyone have any information on what value the Grissm
book is?

Thank you,

Mcglyph

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:48 pm

The Grissim books have become the standard reader for manufactured home shoppers... read the excerpts from The Grissim Ratings Guide to Manufactured Homes, to get a free taste of his exhaustive work.

Palm Harbor has done a great job in promoting themseves along with the new hurricane zone code for manufactured housing. The construction of all homes built in the hurricane zone is to the federal HUD code.

SOME FACTS FROM BuiltStronger.com

• Every factory-constructed manufactured home sold in Florida not only matches the strength of site-built homes, but actually exceeds them by as much as 25%.

• Factory-built homes manufactured and sold in Florida meet criteria based on the highest wind safety standard of them all, known as ASCE 7-88. Site-built homes must conform only to state or local requirements for strength and wind-resistance.

• The design and construction of all Florida manufactured homes are monitored through HUD and their agent, Housing and Building Technology (HBT), and by the State Bureau of Manufactured Housing Construction, insuring the highest quality and safety standards. You don't get this assurance with any site-built homes.

Palm Harbor builds a super product but they are not alone. If your looking for high end alterantives in the South East look into some of the builders you will find HERE
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Thank you for your input but the original poster mentioned Friendship Homes (built in Minn), Champion Homes and Kit West (built in Idaho)...Although the poster did not mention where they are, I assume they do not have Palm Harbor available to them..

The value of the Grissim book is many times the $36.00 one has to pay to get it...This is a small investment in information in relation to the overall cost of the purchase..

bonnie22

Post by bonnie22 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:29 pm

I bought a new horton home ,but i have had problems, and they are not DEDICATed to there customers,its after 1 year , its your problem .

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:57 pm

That is all Horton offered you before you bought..They have never had a warrantee any longer. Buyers should shop and read the warrantee as much as they do floor plan.
Basically Horton has built a fine home for many years. They give as much guarantees as most stick builders who often charge 3 times as much money. If you have a problem fix it while it is still small.