wind zone issue

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

eastwinn

wind zone issue

Post by eastwinn » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:16 pm

I have found a 1987 Fleetwood double wide in excellent condition and want to move it to my property. The county where I live in SC require wind zone 2 construction. The mobile home has all new cabinets and I can't find a data sheet anywhere. I've contacted Fleetwood and the plant that built it has closed in NC. All they could provide me with was the dealer who sold it and after contacting them they have no records that far back. Is there another way to tell if it is a wind zone 1 or 2? Is the difference in construction noticeable? Is there a way to prove it is wind zone 2. Please help as I've already put a deposit on it.
Thanks
Tony

rmurray

Re: wind zone issue

Post by rmurray » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:15 pm

Wind Zone requirements were the result of the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew in Florida on August 24, 1992..This would mean a home with any wind zone designation would have been built after then probably model year 1994 or after...This used home is NOT a wind zone 2 home...I would bet your county will NOT allow this home in...If I were you I would try to get my money back and limit my search to those that are wind zone 2...Few counties in SC actually require wind zone 2 county wide, generally only the parts of the county from I-95 to the ocean are considered wind zone 2...Only your local building inspector can for sure tell you about your property,,,Since there have been very few new homes as wind zone 2 homes sold in SC, it will be hard to find a used one...Most sellers will know they have a rare commodity and hold their prices high..

conwaytom

Post by conwaytom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:32 pm

I am considering purchasing a new home built by Scotbilt,any comments would be helpful. I see a lot of questions concerning wind zone 1 and 2,but this home is classified a 3. Here in Horry it is wind zone 2 only,now is 3 greater than 2 in terms of wind zone? thank you in advance.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:59 pm

A Scotbilt is NOT standard as wind zone 3...A wind zone 3 is the toughest standard..If it is a 3, It could even go directly on the coast...Most of the difference between the Wind Zone 2 and 3 is in the anchor system..The home is almost the same..

mrsbud

Post by mrsbud » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:26 am

Manufacturer's have been building wind zone II (2) since 1976. Anything pre HUD is a wind zone I (1).

You should be able to call Fleetwood back and give them the VIN or serial number of the home and the HUD label number and they can find out if it is zone I or II. Zone III (3) is the best built home, as far as Wind is concerned. If you cannot get documentation from Fleetwood, which you should be able to, Check and see how many overheads their are on the home. An "overhead" is the strap that goes straight up from the anchor, under the siding of the home, over the roof and back down the opposite side and into the other anchor. Talk to your local mover. If he is reputable, he can and will show you the difference. If he is certified by your state, he would not, move something he could lose his license (ccertification) for.

Good Luck

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:30 pm

Sorry...wind zone requirements started after Hurricane Andrew in Florida...I think it was the late 90's when it went into effect....NO preHUD home has any wind zone designation..The wind zone designation will be listed on the data lable..