adding on to doublewide

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
lilbit

adding on to doublewide

Post by lilbit » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:34 pm

i currently have a 2002 28x54. next summer we are planning on adding on an bedroom and bathroom. i have heard different things from different people. our home is not on concrete slab just the blocks it was setup on. right before we addon we are going to relevel the home. why would we have problems with leaking where the 2 join if where the 2 parts of the double wide join (marriage line) do not leak. my brother who has worked with a carpenter for 6 years thinks we will have leaking problems. but he is also use to building 2-3 million dollar homes. so i guess my ? is what is the difference in the marriage line and where we are going to attach our addition?

lilbit

Re: adding on to doublewide

Post by lilbit » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:08 pm

just wanted to say i talked to my insurance adjuster about it and hesaid if its doneright it will not leak. hesaid it is no difference in the connection of a double wide. he said when the roof is done most people start theshingles at the new addtion and therefore leaves a seam and causes leaks. he said when putting shingles start about 3 or 4 ft. on the existing room so you will not have a seam where they meet-which makes sense. i felt better hearing that. i figured if anyone should klnow a mobile home insurance adjuster should.

just thought i would add this for anyone else in my position

admin

Re: adding on to doublewide

Post by admin » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:41 am

Unless both your home and addition are on frostline footings, they probably shift independently. If you're concerned about having trouble keeping the gap sealed where the addition meets the home read this free article.

MH Repair & Renovation - Sealing an Addition

If your looking for a resource that gets into greater detail on techniques specific to all facets of manufactured home repair and renovation, take a look at

The Manual for Manufactured Home Repair & Upgrade
David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]