Pouring footers for double wide

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Joan Dickey

Pouring footers for double wide

Post by Joan Dickey » Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:04 pm

Can someone please help with this question.

We recently purchased a park and will have our first multi-section home placed on a lot. The dealer is out of our area and told us that we would have to dig and pour the footings for the home. He does not use blocks for multi-sections, this is a double wide, he uses concrete footers.

My question is:
Does the park owner usually dig and pour the footers for the home? Doesn't seem right to me. Seems like we would be liable for any settling, etc. problems.

Thanks.

Ron Ambler

Re: Pouring footers for double wide

Post by Ron Ambler » Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:36 am

I would contact your local building inspection department to find out what landlord responsibilities are with respect to setting homes on your lots. Local governments, in most states, have established regulations which require the landlord to provide certain facilities to each lot. e.g. sewer connections, water, electrical, telephone and cable access. Some may require all these facilities, others less. In our locality, the set up of any MH is the responsibility of the tenant, with the landlord's input as to exact positioning of the home on the lot.

Normally, the set up, and cost of same, are bundled into the sale price of the MH when purchased from the MH dealer. Check with the new tenant and see if their bill of sale included on site set up charges. If the MH dealer did not include these concrete footer costs in the sale price, and your local regulations do not require the landlord to provide them, then it should be up to the tenant.

These are my opinions only, and you should rely on your own research to understand your obligations in this situation.

Joan Dickey

Re: Pouring footers for double wide

Post by Joan Dickey » Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:57 pm

Thanks for the answer. We called the tenant today and told them we were not going to be responsible for pouring footers, the dealer will have to do so.