Adding on rooms to manufactured hom

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Denise Johnson

Adding on rooms to manufactured hom

Post by Denise Johnson » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:32 pm

We have a Fleetwood Home. Site has enough room for adding on. Is this a possiblity?

Eugene

Re: Adding on rooms to manufactured hom

Post by Eugene » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:15 pm

No,
All manufacturers, including Fleetwood require that any type of addition be self supporting., So you can't attach to the exisiting home, either at the walls or roof.
Plus, you shouldn;t cut a hole through the walls for access into the addition.
Anything you do like this will cause problems with the home.
Call Fleetwood and ask them, they will say the same thing.

sandy

Post by sandy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:47 pm

How did you know that? Is there a book or guide on all rules and guidelines regarding repairs, remodeling, maintenance, any and all things concerning a MH?

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:39 pm

If your looking for a book that covers all facets of manufactured home repair, you've found it in The Manual for Manufactured Home Repair & Upgrade

As you would expect from the title, The repair and upgrade techniques described in this manual are specific to manufactured homes. This book will answer almost every question on manufactured home repair that we have ever heard. Not only does this book show you how to repair and maintain your home, but also great methods for upgrading it.

This Book was compiled from the long time experience of contractor, Mark Bower, the owner of Aberdeen Home Repair. For years Mark has been one of the best known hands on men in the manufactured housing industry. Every day the crew of Aberdeen Home Repair is in the field taking care of manufactured home service requests. Whether it's a major roof replacement or a simple broken window crank, Mark has gained a reputation for meticulous, professional workmanship.

Mark is also recognized for his manufactured home repair lecture and consulting services. Additionally Mark has participated in Federal Government MH projects sponsored by both HUD and FEMA and he has been called as an expert witness in lawsuits that required a full understanding of the complex systems that make up the modern manufactured home.

Available in print version and now also in e-book version for instant download.

Eugene

Post by Eugene » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:12 pm

Sandy,
My comments are based on a deep knowledge on the HUD code (Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards) and understanding that this code is a performance based code.
Which means that the homes are designed to meet the minimum performace criteria, so keep the homes affordable as inexpensive to build.
Read closely the homeowners manuals and installation manuals that come with each manufactured home.
They are very specific, DO NOT Attach anything to the home.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:00 pm

Eugene -

Your blanket condemnation of manufactured housing is disturbing. Where in the HUD code is the section that says the homes should be built inexpensively?

I own and maintain 38 manufactured homes. When I installed these homes I know I would be taking care of them for many years and selected most that were built quiet a bit better than to minimum standards. Manufactured homes, like most any product have some very high end producers and some junk builders. Most production homes fall someplace in the middle.

I live in a 1980's vintage Fleetwood doublewide that has a 1440 sq ft fully attached block addition. Most of my rental homes have one or more additions built onto them. The local building department requires sealed engineer drawings, showing how additions are to be added to manufactured homes. When the design is sound they have no problem granting permits.

My insurance company lets me to add value to each home that has an attached addition. We are in Central Florida and my homes along with their additions rode our three back to back hurricanes last season without as much as $500 damage to any one home.

You can visit the MH Parts Store OnLine Select Exterior Additions from the menu of items on the left and you will see some of the ready made standard additions that most Do-It-Yourself types can add onto a home over a long week-end.

For more instant details about addition attachment, right here on our site, you can read Sealing an Addition by MARK BOWER. Mark is the chief moderator for this repair forum and the owner of Aberdeen Home Repair. Mark is also recognized for his manufactured home repair lecture and consulting services. Additionally Mark has participated in Federal Government MH projects sponsored by both HUD and FEMA and he has been called as an expert witness in lawsuits that required a full understanding of the complex systems that make up the modern manufactured home.

There is a great article on our sister web site - www.MobileHomeRepair.com - that will explain more of the basics. Get the details By reading Adding on to your manufactured home
Denise - Talk to your local Building Department and a local Engineering firm to find out what the requirements for MH additions are in your area.

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:39 pm

I am thinking of having our 16x80 trailer completly reroofed and extended by 16 feet on the width by adding new sides and structural support can I tie in the flooring of the trailer to the new additionto the new addition? I plan on having the aluminum sides removed and resided with vinyl.