marriage joint not level in double wide

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
nick

marriage joint not level in double wide

Post by nick » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:08 pm

Iv'e got a ledge in my floor, where the one portion meets the next portion in my home.
It's carpeted, and theres a rug on it too, buts its still uneven. My family room's higher than my living space, do you have any ideas that might help me? thanks.

David Oxhandler

Re: marriage joint not level in double wide

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:11 pm

It sound like your home may need to be releveled. You should NOT try to level your home by yourself. The operations involved in jacking and raising the home can be very dangerous and should be attempted only by experienced individuals.

the Releveling Kit from Aberdeen Repair includes complete step-by-step instructions and a waterline level. Use these instructions and the enclosed waterline level to determine whether or not your home is out of level. You will also use this information to become a better-informed consumer and give yourself the upper hand when it comes to hiring a contractor to do the job, or requesting home warranty service.

The detailed instructions will show you how to do the following: learn the causes of why your home becomes unlevel learn how to set-up, calibrate and read a waterline level determine where your home is unlevel and by how much learn what to watch-out for before, during and after releveling your home learn proper jack placement learn how your contractor should safely jack-up your home

Get more details Here

Another easy method to determine if your home is out-of-level, and if so, how much. There is a brand new product on the market called the WatrLevel. The inventor must have stayed up nights to develop this one. It provides instant readings, can be used around obstacles, and only requires one person to operate. It is the perfect tool for leveling mfd homes. Get details by clicking thru to the WatrLevel web site

Mark Bower

Post by Mark Bower » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:21 pm

By next month my company is going to be carrying a product which will help line-up those marriage lines. Even with a good releveling, something it's still about impossible to get that joint absolutely flush. Our new product will solve that.

Mark
You gotta see my repair manual!

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:02 pm

I'll have to look at that when you get it - we have carpet, but will want to replace it with Pergo in 3-4 years, and I will have that problem.

Brian Guidry

Post by Brian Guidry » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:16 pm

My home has the same problem. Is this common in multi-section homes?

Mark please let us know when your product arrives!

Bobby Dito

Post by Bobby Dito » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:39 am

What I have seen too often is that the center line (marriage line) supports are not there or not properly placed and/or the floors have not beet properly lag bolted together. If you can get a block up print from the manufacture of the home, you should check this out. If not, make sure there are supports to the floor in the middle of the home. These should be located at least at the supports (walls) of any large opening. Good Luck!

Heidi

Post by Heidi » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:21 pm

We have a similar problem in our new modular home (CABO guidelines) that we have been living in for 5 months. We have a completely finished full basement. We noticed at first a buckling of the wood laminate flooring the entire length of the marriage line. We contacted the company who built our modular home who sent someone out and said it was the flooring so we had to contact the dealer, who said it was the contractor who did the installing of the floor and finish work, who also came out and found that it wasn't the flooring. The foundation is level, but for some reason whoever set the house has it up inches on one side off the foundation, causing the house to be unlevel.

Any idea how we can get this fixed?

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:35 am

Your post emphasis one of the major differences between the modular (CABO) and manufactured home (HUD) product..There is NO national agency for consumer complaints....All modular homes are covered by a state agencies as far as compliance is concerned...I would guess your set up manual required an engineer to design the foundation for a basement set..You should talk to the engineer who designed the foundation...let him/her inspect the home and recommend a solution and suggest the "guilty" party so you know who to go after...Sounds like the builder to me.. NOT the manufacturer..

Stevie Betz

Post by Stevie Betz » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:40 pm

I have an older (15yrs) stabilazation system called "GUS GUARD" has anyone heard of this? I think they are out of business now. I am putting in a new sub floor and vinyl so I decided I should perhaps level the house first. The relevel company told me my "marriage line" was pulling apart and I needed 4 connectors that would "stop the seperation". It's apart about 1 inch. He also told me my piers were at their 2"max and should have 24 "lock tights" put on top so they attach to the coach. He said it didn't matter if I did this before or after the new floor as it just stopped the seperation, did not put the 1/2s back togather. And he was adjusting my The Gus Guard system which was to keep the 1/2s togather to begin with. All this for $2,000 hummm does anyone have an opinion if I'm being taken for a ride?

Stevie

Stevie Betz

Post by Stevie Betz » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:46 pm

Is there such a thing as an "acceptable" size gap in the Marriage Line? in the center of the house it is 1/4in or so up to 1" about 15 ft away towards the front.

Thanks for any info
Stevie