Install skylight

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
andrew martin

Install skylight

Post by andrew martin » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:44 pm

Hello to everyone. This site is a great assist.

Tell me how difficult it is to install a skylight. My 1986 Kaufman has 2 X 4 rafters. I think they are 24" on center. The roof is new & is composite shingles. The sheathing looks like 1/2".

I've seen reasonably priced skylights (under $100.) at Home Depot. The package says the actual width is 22". The length is about 44" Are these things adjustable for rafter thickness?

My main concern is leaks around the skylight. I think the package indicated it was a self-sealing unit.

Any advice will be appreciayed.

Andrew

David Oxhandler

Re: Install skylight

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:53 am

Andrew -

A Skylight is simply a hole in the roof. While you may like the look you have to cut a big hole in your roof and ceiling. Even if it is installed correctly you should expect to do regular maintenance to avoid leakage. Skylights also create a break in your insulation system and so have an negative impact on the energy efficiency of your heating and cooling systems. The best thing that can be said about skylights is that they add a lot of sales appeal to homes. When I was selling new homes I tried to steer buyers away form skylights. When we renovate and sell a used home, if there are any skylights we remove them and patch solid roof back. I have never seen one that was over 5 years old that did not show some evidence of leakage.

Eugene

Post by Eugene » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:11 pm

David ir correct. Unless you perform yearly maintanance, they will leak. Also, since many Manufactured Homes have low sloped roofs, make sure the skylight you buy is OK for 3/12 roof. Most are only good for 4/12 pitch roofs.

You would need to get the flange of the skylight, under the shingles on the top and side, and over the bottom shingles.
You need a couple good heavy beads of roof cement under and over the flange as well to prevent leaks.
Don't you silicone to seal skylights as the silicone cannot be re-applied over itself without removing all the old stuff and some skylights don't react well to silicone.

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:32 am

Thanks David and Eugene. Great advice. I have seen double domes that insulate, but there is still the leak issue.

Andrew

Mary

Post by Mary » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:40 am

I had three (3) Solatubes installed in my 1995 Baron home five years ago and have not had a single incidence of leaking. However, I am currently in rehab process of a 1991 Palm Harbor home and had my contractor install three (generic) 'skylights' that he purchased from Home Depot. With the first fall rain, a leak occured. The difference between Solatube and the Home Depot brand is substantial. If you desire to have skylights, do investigate the "Solatube" which delivers much better/truer light, has a better design to prevent leaking, is a metal tube rather than 'foil' and is installed by trained/experienced people. Good Luck!

andrew martin

Post by andrew martin » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:00 pm

Thanks Mary. Very interesting.

Andrew

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:45 am

I'm replacing my existing roof with IB PVC/CPA Single-Ply membrane with a lifetime warranty.This will be totally removed to check if there's any problems that might need attention. I have a free standing firestove that been gathering dust. This exsisting opening I'm planning to have them install the solartube light, for I love a well lite room especially in the winter. Thank you for all your information that's provided in helping us. Ryane
Ryane