skylight leak

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Joe

skylight leak

Post by Joe » Sat May 28, 2005 9:09 am

Hello, I have a skylight I believe is leaking. The water is running down the slope and behind the window. My question is: Should I just rip it out and repair the hole and reshingle. and then of course repair hole on inside, or is it possible to stop this type of leak with real good caulking? And should I caulk everywhere.

Joe

David Oxhandler

Re: skylight leak

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat May 28, 2005 11:19 am

Skylights look great but everyone of them is a hole in the roof and will leak sooner or later. Your skylight has a flange that sits on the roof below the shingles. Get a product called Blackjack at your local hardware or roofing supply and re-seal around the edges. The hotter the day the better as that is when any small cracks in the seal will be expanded open for the best coverage.

Lewis C

Post by Lewis C » Sat May 28, 2005 2:44 pm

I had a similar problem last fall. I consulted my neighbor who is a contractor and he suggested that I just cover it up, meaning take it out. I wanted to keep it so I just went to LOWES and got a gallon of LEAK STOPPER its in a red can. It was supposed to be the best stuff out there at the time. So far so good. I just filled the "gap" between the skylight and the shingles all the way around the skylight. Now NO water goes anywhere near a place that it can work it way under the shingle. THis stuff has a 10 year warranty. It is rubberized so that it wont crack with hot and cold weather. You can also put it on in wet or dry weather. I belive when mine leaks again I will remove it. Mobile homes roofs cannot take much water damage as you may know. Hope this helps! Lewis

Tammy

Post by Tammy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:45 pm

We are experiencing the same problem you described. However, on a much larger scale as we are getting water inside just below the skylight along the ceiling and now down the wall. The leak seems to have been occurring for a while and since we have had rain for the past several weeks, non-stop, we have wet sheetrock, insulation, light fixture and window casing. When you repaired the skylight did you experience any other damage that might help us look for further damage and help us toward the direction of a complete repair? Did you repair the leak in wet or dry conditions? Desperate in Upstate New York.....still wet, still leaking, still raining. Thanks, Tammy

Susan Branche

Post by Susan Branche » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:04 am

We had/have same problem as Tammy. The skylight leaked..water filled the sheetrock, insulation etc...have large hole in kitchen ceiling now. Can this simply be replaced with sheetrock? Notice there was blown insulation, which is now hanging from hole...has been over 6 months as have tried contacting local contractors to get it fixed but none call me back.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Husband said he caulked the leak in the skylight..but we still have the buckets out when it rains.

Thanks...Susan