Replacing mobile home ceiling

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Ken

Replacing mobile home ceiling

Post by Ken » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:14 am

Hello,

I have an older doublewide mobile home. It was built in the late 1970's, and it sat vacant for several years before I purchased it. I am now in the process of compeletely renovating it. I am installing all new doors and windows, and will be reframing as needed to make them standard sized. I have pulled all of the aluminum siding off of the outside, and will be replacing it with Tru-Wood wood paneling. Inside, I am going to put up new 1/2" drywall over the existing walls. I am getting ready to do the ceilings, and had some questions.

This home has a metal roof, and the supporting beams look to be 1"x2" beams. There is a slight arch to the roof, so there is a 1"x2" structure below and then another above to accomodate the arch, with insulation between them. The top and bottom beams are attached together, either with wood or strapping. I have ripped down the original ceiling due to a multitiude of problems with it. I want to replace it with drywall, but am concerned about the weight difference between the original fiberboard and the drywall, as well as the possibilty of the 1" x 2" studs cracking when I run drywall screws through them.

I am looking at using the 1/4" drywall on the roof to cut down on the weight, but would prefer to use the 1/2" instead. However, before I do anything, I wanted to get some opinions on this project to see if anyone has had experiece doing this before, as well as any suggestions you might have. Home depot sells 4x8 sheets of a fiberboard paneling (a bit lighter), but as it is essentially pressed paper it would be very difficult to get this to stick. If I had too, I could also use 4x8 sheets of 1/4" wood paneling, but it wouldn't look that good and I would have to do more work to tie it all together.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Best regards,

Ken O.

Pendragon

Re: Replacing mobile home ceiling

Post by Pendragon » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:32 pm

How far apart are the ceiling joists?
Basing it on 24", you must use 5/8" drywall or it will sag.
If it's 16" you can use 1/2" (but I would HIGHLY recommend 5/8")

1/4" drywall would quickly sag, and probably would required 12" OC ceiling joists, and likely wouldn't even meet fire code anyway.

1/4" drywalls main purpose is for forming curved surfaces.

And yes, a 1x (probably 3/4" actual) would likely split at every screw or nail point unless you drilled pilot holes.

It doesn't sound like this ceiling is going to be able to support a proper drywall installation.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon May 02, 2005 7:00 am

Have you considered patching the existing damage and then spraying a popcorn finish on the ceiling? This makes for a very modern look and usually avoids the problem of replacing all the existing ceiling panels. It would be a good idea to paint the existing ceiling with a quality primer. I think you will find that the popcorn finish works well and looks great on just about any pre-existing material.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Wed May 11, 2005 8:32 pm

Just a thought

Have you checked with any of the manufacturing companies that supply the materials for the construction of mobile homes?

If it were me, I would simply go in to a place where they sell mobile homes/trailers and pick their brains to find out where I could purchase replacement panels.

Not sure if the cost would be effective for you? But worth a try!

Good luck!

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri May 13, 2005 7:11 pm

Ken I have been grapling with this question for a while. We bought our mobile home a year ago. In the master bedroom we tore out the ceiling and then placed a "parlam" ( a manufactured and very strong 2x12) down the middle of the home. We then took 2x12's and ripped them to conform to the slope of the ceiling. THe space was 20" OC. These were tied into the old 1x2 and 1/2 inch sheet rock screwed to that. It was taped and mudded (not by me) and has looked great since last September.

I am wanting to create the same thing in the living room but the span is much wider. I wrote a question asking on this board before I read your question. I am hoping there are other folks out there who have attempted this.

Good luck, Richard

sherrer

Post by sherrer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:15 am

We have a 1972 Lampligher Moduline home....are the ceiling panels fiberboard or do they contain asbestos???? Help!

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:56 pm

I have never found asbestos in any mh ceiling. Most builders were using a thin pre-textured sheet rock. Some low end builders used plywood paneling. I don't know what that company was doing in 1972.

Asbestos was used in some sprayed coatings for ceilings from 1935-1978 and can cause health probllems. If you have any doubt, have a sample tested by an NVLAP approved testing center before getting started. If there is any asbestos, experts recommend you do not try to remove it yourself. Either have it removed professionally or cover it with a new drywall ceiling.

Taking the old ceiling down is generally counterproductive. It creates a lot of work and mess and stuff to haul to the dump. You might even find the roof insulation on the floor inside your home.

There are many types of ceilings in manufactured homes. Read Manufactured Home Ceilings - Repairing or Rebuilding. It offers some proven methods to a great week-end project. The article is by Mark Bower one of the best known hands on men in the manufactured housing industry and author of The Manual for Manufactured/Mobile Home Repair and Upgrade
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

dondi

Post by dondi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:20 pm

i want to reinsulate my roof in 1985 skyline single . what is the easiest way to remove the ceiling to get this done? this room is very cold in winter and i doubt , there is much insulation, was thinking of cutting a hole so i could see whats in there before ripping it down . it will give me something to do this winter. maybe i won't like what i see and i can then patch it. if its to big a job for a 72 year old i may wait lol

englert123

Post by englert123 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:41 am

As you said that your roof was made of metal that was a metal roof, so it is natural that your house became cold in winter. I think that the architecture metal roof design was not done properly that is why your house become more cold in the winter as it is not be. So first concerned the expert for this then based on his perception either change your ceiling or make modification.

englert123

Post by englert123 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:20 am

If you are going to replace your mobile home ceiling then I suggest you that you can change it from metal roof as their life span are much more then the other roofs.