Water bed

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Gail

Water bed

Post by Gail » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:47 pm

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a waterbed. Will that be to heavy for my mobile home? It's a 1990. I have no idea how I would know and don't want to buy one if it will be to heavy.

Thank you,

Gail

David Oxhandler

Re: Water bed

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:04 am

A water bed weighs less per sq ft that tne fridge in the kitchen. The weight is not a problem BUT If you have particle board floors you want to avoid a water bed. Even the best of them will leak from time to time.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:41 am

A water bed may weigh less per square foot (and I am not so sure about that), but more importantly is how that weight is distributed. If it's on a standing frame, the weight may be resting on only 6 points. If those points happen to end up between floor joists, the floor WILL sag over time.

I don't think it's ever a bad idea to add a little extra support whenever you are going to be adding substantial weight to the floor, be it a waterbed, aquarium, or even large TV. Get a floor jack or two and support the joists under the bed. Cheap insurance against a warped floor.

Gail

Post by Gail » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:50 am

Thank you very much.

dondi

Post by dondi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:11 pm

i always lay a big piece of plywood then put heavy object on it i have a big gunsafe in my single wide so far no problem