Vinyl covered sheetrock

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Tim Copeland

Vinyl covered sheetrock

Post by Tim Copeland » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:49 am

Does anyone know of an inexpensive way to make vinyl covered sheetrock look like taped drywall. Could you peel off the vinyl, tape the joints and skim the whole wall then paint? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom

Re: Vinyl covered sheetrock

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:20 pm

Peeling really wont work, the board is too thin and you end up making pits and valleys in it. If your looking for a neat treatment that makes it look like texture, go over to http://www.mobilehomerepair.com and click on the Books And Parts Link on the top tool bar. There is a video available to show you how to do the process. Paint can be done by first scrubbing the walls squeeky clean, then priming with a product like Kilz, then painting to the color of your choice. Tom

Deb Wimpfheimer

Post by Deb Wimpfheimer » Sun May 02, 2004 8:53 pm

Question about the vinyl covered sheetrock. Can you take out the strips, tape and mud the gap and then put wall paper over it all??

phil

Post by phil » Sun May 16, 2004 2:21 pm

My vinyl on my Vinyl covered sheet rock is torn is spots.

I assume I can just cut away the raised vinyl around the spot, sand the spot and
then cover the spot with sheet rock joint compound. After I do this maybe I can
paint the whole wall then.

Phil

phil

how do i repair vinyle covered sheet rock

Post by phil » Sun May 16, 2004 2:25 pm

My vinyl on my Vinyl covered sheet rock is torn in spots.

I assume I can just cut away the raised vinyl around the spot, sand the spot and
then cover the spot with sheet rock joint compound. After I do this maybe I can
paint the whole wall then.

Phil

Tracy

Re: how do i repair vinyle covered sheet rock

Post by Tracy » Mon May 17, 2004 8:02 am

Phil,

If your working in a large area of the home where keeping the look is still important than you can cut a patch from a small closet and overlay the damaged section. Lets say you have a 4"x4" tear. Cut a small piece 8"x8" with a sharp knife blade from the closet in the same decor area that is damaged. Overlay the bad patch making sure you line up the pattern. Cut through both pieces and use paste that will allow you to contact vinyl to sheetrock.

Might save you from painting short term.

-Tracy
www.mbqc.com