mold and moisture on cathedral ceiling

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
patsy

mold and moisture on cathedral ceiling

Post by patsy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:37 pm

i have a 1982 new moon double wide. the cathedral ceiling has no ventilation.
there is no ventilation in the attic at all. the insulation is touching the roof. there is
no air space at all where the cathedral ceiling is located. the catheral ceiling is only in
a very large living room which is the width of the double wide . the double wide is a
28x64. we do not have any leakes.i had a contractor to look at the problem . he
said it was a manufactured defect. he also said that add vents to the roof would not help because the insulation is so packed there is no air space.

Tom

Re: mold and moisture on cathedral ceiling

Post by Tom » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:42 pm

A vapor barrier over the insulation will probably help some, Im surprised there isnt one now. Then I would probably add vents at the same time. However, I would get an experienced MH repairman out for a second opinion. When someone says its a defect without offering a solution, I get suspicious. Tom

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:03 pm

Interesting...The moisture issues at the peak of the cathedral...usually about 3 feet both sides of the center..that I have seen were almost always caused by the insulation sliding down the back of the sheetrock while in transit..leaving a swath of cieling..about 6 feet with no insulation..in cold weather the cieling is cold and causes condensation on the cieling..

The fix is tough..usually blowing in more insulation..

patsy

Post by patsy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:56 pm

I have already had an experience repairmen to evaluate this serious problem. I previous had 4 by 14 foot carboard type ceiling sheets installed where the other has rotted out dew to mold and condensation. The insulation is in its proper place and has not slip. The experience repariman stated he has also contacted other experience (MH) repairmen. They all agree the cathedral ceilings built on this style doublewide homes was built wrong. It would cost more to correct the manufactures defect than the doulbewide home is worth. There is no room anywhere for the ceiling to vent in the cathedral part of the doublewide home. The ceiling sweates condenation in the summer time and turns to black mold in the winter. This type ceiling draws mositure. There is carboard sheets, insulation, roofing and no space in between. The experience repairmen stated that the only solution to the problem is to tear the complete ceiling out and lower it and install vents ect. He stated other things they would have to do but I could not comprehend what he was talking about good enough to type it in words. The way the ceiling is now there is no way for it to breath regardless how many vents we install. He said it would be best to buy another doublewide home than to spend money on the repairs it would take to correct the problem. There is damage to the walls ect. due to this problem.
I met with a mobile dealer in the City of Opelika Alabama and ask if they had problems with this type style doublewild homes. He stated they did and they install vents and made ceiling repairs and they still have problems with this style doublewide homes.

Respectfully submitted,
Patsy

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:40 am

Well, It would seem that you have covered about all I could suggest. The only other thing I could think of would be to add soffits. But, Im not so sure adding vents would not help some. But, its tough to tell from this distance. I do have another suggestion. Send and email to Mark Bower, stating all you have here, at [email protected] He may be able to offer some suggestions. Tom

chase

Post by chase » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:21 pm

how about a power vent? with some soffit vents and power vent near peak this would draw air without a doubt. but let me offer another route , is the roof going to need work in near future? if so build remove roof ther now install a higher pitch rafter on top of existing ones and insytall i lightweight metal roof , it will look better and sove your problem