Bath tub crack

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Tracey

Bath tub crack

Post by Tracey » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:34 am

My home has a garden tub style bath tub that is starting to crack by the drain. Any ideas on how to repair this, besides replacing the tub itself?

Thanks

Mac

Re: Bath tub crack

Post by Mac » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:35 pm

Try www.mobilehomerepair.com - lots of folks with similar issues. There is a white two-part epoxy found at Home Depot that I have used to repair these; I believe it is called SuperMend. Mine was not in a visible place though, so I didn't have to be neat about it.

Tracy

Post by Tracy » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:36 pm

There is another product out there, I can't recall what it is named. It consists of little white plastic granules, and MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone, or something like that). Esentially the MEK melts the plastic and then it re hardens. If it is just a scratch, go to your local car parts store and get high grit sand paper and rubbing compound. Use 400-800 grit sand paper right on the scratch to get it out, then buff it with 2000 grit sandpaper, finally use the rubbing compound to polish it up.

Tracy

Galen

Post by Galen » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:43 pm

Call the manufacturer of the tub - they will have a repair kit available for cheap - and it will match color wize. It also depends on if the tub is acrylic, fiberglass or PVC plastc. Contact the manufacturer!

Danny Hoppers

Re: Bathtub crack

Post by Danny Hoppers » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:09 am

I have a crack in a PVC plastic tub. Is a there a product to repair it?

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:42 am

Yes there are products to repair PVC tubs.. The size and location of the crack will determin if it is repairable. For the most part cracks that are big and have a lot of movement when you step in the tub are most difficult.

Visit The Mobile Home Parts Store to find a product that will work and match your tub color.

Also see;

Repair or Replace a Manufactured Home Bathtub

Replacing or Repairing a Bathtub Drain
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

bathroom and kitchen

Post by bathroom and kitchen » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:46 am

Hi! If you know your bath tub manufacturer, try to contact them and let them fix your bath tub, they will charge you for a minimal cost. But if you think that fixing it will cost you a lot of money then why not get a new one. There are many modern style bath tubs out in the market today and it's still affordable.
Bathroom Designs

kc

Post by kc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:21 am

Had same problem..had a shower radio to fall & gawge my shower floor. Go buy the tub & shower repair kit @ Lowes about $15.00 to $20.00. It's contains epoxy...in 2 or 3 different shades.. comes in a plastic bag...zips back at the top..lie a zip lock bag...the package will be white with blue & orange writing on it.

It works great...drys fast...can barely see the repair. I repaired a year ago..still holds up...trust me it works...

Good luck,

Kelly

derzinc

Post by derzinc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:17 am

Mt yub was leaking through a hairline crack and rotted all of the flooring out. Two weeks ago I got a new tub installed with a new insert! It's marvelous, and tub, flooring, labor, and other supplies was only $700.00, which wasn't bad because I had planned for over a thousand dollars.... thank God for the Mobile Home Service Center!