Vaulted Ceilings

Ask our experienced MH repair and renovation experts about your home repair needs!
Richard

Vaulted Ceilings

Post by Richard » Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:40 pm

I have a vaulted ceiling in my 1986 Brigadiar double wide. There is a beam in the center of the ceiling. I removed all the paneling from the beam and it is actually two (2) miniature structures made out of (2 X 3)s?
It seems to be held up by the ceiling rather than holding the ceiling up. Does anyone know if it is safe to remove this structure? Or at least if it can be removed long enough to replace it with something that can be made to look presentable?
Thanks
Richard

Jim

Re: Vaulted Ceilings

Post by Jim » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:37 pm

Is that beam hiding your marriage line? How you explained it ,it sounds like the beam is where your 2 halves meet.

Richard

Re: Vaulted Ceilings

Post by Richard » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:10 pm

It is the line where the two halves meet.

greg

Re: Vaulted Ceilings - raising the ceiling

Post by greg » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:27 pm

i live in an hold house. The 2nd floor ceiling are less than 8 feet high. i want to raise the ceiling, but don't know how to brace the rafters once then joists are removed. i'm assuming you can't simply raise them (the joists) and end up with a waisted or vaulted ceiling.
I'm guessing i would somehow have to continue to tie the rafter ends to each other somehow. regards - greg

greg

Re: Vaulted Ceilings - raising the ceiling

Post by greg » Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:27 pm

i live in an hold house. The 2nd floor ceiling are less than 8 feet high. i want to raise the ceiling, but don't know how to brace the rafters once then joists are removed. i'm assuming you can't simply raise them (the joists) and end up with a waisted or vaulted ceiling.
I'm guessing i would somehow have to continue to tie the rafter ends to each other somehow. regards - greg