Special wiring for a double wide?

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Bill

Special wiring for a double wide?

Post by Bill » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:38 pm

Snag after snag!!! My brother is a retired electrician who generously offered to save us money by wiring our new double wide from the box to the meter. After this is done, you must call the power company to inspect the work before they will turn on the electricity. Before we began, the power man came to the house and told us requirements--the meter head has to be at least three feet from a window, you have to have a 200 amp disconnect box with room for extra breakers, etc. He also said that we had to have 'four wire' wire. So, we got everything he said, the house was wired from the box to the outside and we called for the inspection. We got a different guy and the first thing he said is "What kind of wire did ya get?" We said "Four-wire." He said it won't pass. HUH??? This guy says that double wides have to have a special type of wire and that the wire we installed is for 'regular houses.' Does anyone know what he's talking about?

Eugene

Re: Special wiring for a double wide?

Post by Eugene » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:46 am

The second guy is wrong!
the Manufactured Home Construction & Safety Standards (HUD Code) at 3280.803(e) requires a 4 wire system.
The only time an exception is made, it when the home is placed on a permanent foundation and the meter base is on the home

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:19 am

Tell this fool you DO have a regular House...Call the power company and tell this whole story to a supervisor....Good Luck...

Bill

Post by Bill » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:03 am

Thanks, Murray. I am already sick of people saying they heard we are getting a new home and then when I tell them it's a double wide, they say "Oh my, you're going to live in a trailer!!" People act as if I have said Cave instead of double wide. My 'trailer' is nicer than most of the homes in my neighborhood for goodness sakes!!

Nancy D

Post by Nancy D » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:12 pm

I am in such agreement about the way some view the "mobile home" manufactured home. I have friends who asked me if I was sure I wanted a trailer. I don't have one, I have a mobile home (1974) which is going to be replaced with a new 2006 manufactured home. It is beautiful, with a view none of my friends could ever afford to have! So let's educate these ignorant friends, we don't have trailers.
Sorry this is off subject about the wiring, but I had to reply.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:46 pm

I am with you Nancy..a day does not go by without someone coming in the store..pointing at a $175,000 Cape Cod Modular and asking to see the 2 story trailer....If I owned the store..I would refuse because they are too dumb to be able to buy it....

I had a customer in today who just sold their 1972 Champion 12x60 for $85,000 with a lot they paid $1500.00 for in Savannah, GA.....Good Location I guess...They made it clear their trailer did them well......They were also sticker shocked at modern manufactured homes....

Good Luck with your new home...