types of skirting

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Lori Skaggs

types of skirting

Post by Lori Skaggs » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:11 pm

Can you suggest some different ideas for skirting?
I am trying to make my house look more "western"..."ranchy"...
it's painted red w/ white trim...X's on the back side like a barn. Looking real cute...just stumped on the skirting!
Thanks

David Oxhandler

Re: types of skirting

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:58 pm

The most substantial skirting system around is System-1 skirting by Hoffman Concrete. System-1 is what skirting should be- 100% solid concrete. System-1 is not an imitation or a look alike – it is the original concrete skirting system that resists the elements from the summer heat of Texas to the harsh winters of Minnesota. System-1 is built to last and is designed to stay put for years of dependable service.

Get more info, check out the photos and submit the short form for a free price quote at www.concreteskirting.com

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:46 am

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my skirting too. Everything else is completely redone. It's indistinguishable from a stick built at this time. Lori, if I understand you correctly you want to hide the skirting not replace it right? (which is what I want to do as well)
We don't do anything to our place (s) now because we bought the c 1890 cottage next door that we don't do ourselves. The hoffman stuff looks great and they're even in Iowa but it seems a bit out of our price range because of labor costs.
In the front of the house I have spreading yew bushes that completely cover the skirting and stay green all year long. The side that gets the most traffic has some dwarf lilacs and tall English garden type plants that cover it for a lot of the summer. Other than that, I'm stumped too. In places the skirting is more than five foot tall here.
I am at least going to paint it the same color as the house body hopefully by fall. It's metal skirting so it should be fine if I primer it.

Sylvia

Post by Sylvia » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:46 am

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my skirting too. Everything else is completely redone. It's indistinguishable from a stick built at this time. Lori, if I understand you correctly you want to hide the skirting not replace it right? (which is what I want to do as well)
We don't do anything to our place (s) now because we bought the c 1890 cottage next door that we don't do ourselves. The hoffman stuff looks great and they're even in Iowa but it seems a bit out of our price range because of labor costs.
In the front of the house I have spreading yew bushes that completely cover the skirting and stay green all year long. The side that gets the most traffic has some dwarf lilacs and tall English garden type plants that cover it for a lot of the summer. Other than that, I'm stumped too. In places the skirting is more than five foot tall here.
I am at least going to paint it the same color as the house body hopefully by fall. It's metal skirting so it should be fine if I primer it.

Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:44 am

I've been looking into different skirting myself. Even trying to get creative. But staying with your particular theme I would think that a simulated rock or stone or used brick skirting would b just right. This design style would be consistent with the way older barns were built. hope this helps.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:02 pm

Here is the look I would go for -

System-1 skirting by Hoffman Concrete.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:31 pm

use siding to match your house, frame out the base of your house using 1x2 as a bottom track and place (treated) 2x2's every two feet, cut sections of the siding to fit and tack into place, to cover the gaps use a 3"x8' strip of wood grained battan and you can paint it any color you want even two toned or different color for the battan as it works as trim

Tom Stewart

Post by Tom Stewart » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:29 am

We are presently building an "over 55 community in Carlisle, Penna., and are using a cement board which is painted the same color as the shingles or trim.
Which along with the 5/12 roof pitch makes the community look very much like a stick built with foundations.
We also install automatic vents.

Tom Stewart, V.P.
United Mobile Homes Inc.

Carol

Post by Carol » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:08 pm

Lori,

Take a look at www.stoneskirt.com. I think this is more like the ranch look you were looking for. Can do yourself or with able friends! Not as "plain" as the other concrete skirtings out there.

al

Post by al » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:36 am

Tom Stewart,

What kind of cement board do you use? Tile backer or something specific for exterior use?

tnx