Claim paid & then denied

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
Frustrated

Claim paid & then denied

Post by Frustrated » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:00 am

I had an ice maker tubing that leaked behind the refrigerator and caused the nearby carpet to get wet, plus the kitchen floor to buckle. The carpet was dry and the floor was fine on Tuesday; when I returned home Thursday night the damage was visible.

My Foremost agent came and inspected, wrote a check and left. He then wrote a letter (upon returning to his office) which we got the next day, denying the claim because it was not "sudden" but "normal wear and tear." He said nothing about the check, which fortunately I had not yet deposited.

Friends tell me just to return the check and pay for the repairs myself, because if I raise a fuss with him or the state insurance commission/consumer help department, Foremost will cancel (or not renew) and we will be in dire straights trying to find a new insurer.

It is an $800 claim, approximately, which on a fixed income is a big amount.

Any advice?

rmurray

Re: Claim paid & then denied

Post by rmurray » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:32 pm

Call him and ask "WHAT GIVES????"..

Call Foremost Home offeice and ask for advice.....

Frustrated

Post by Frustrated » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:10 pm

Thank you, Murray, but I'm so afraid to raise a fuss in case they cancel or don't renew...

On Monday I am going to call him, though. Calling the home office is a good idea too. Thanks.

Frustrated

Post by Frustrated » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:32 pm

I spoke with our Foremost agent today, and the whole claim was not denied, only the tubing for the ice maker on the refrigerator.

What a relief! I did not want to be thinking bad thoughts about Foremost, the AARP and senior citizens' mobile home insurance company, but I was worried.

Thank you for your help, Murrary.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:21 pm

Generally I have always thought Foremost to be a great company....Glad things will be working uout for you.........Good Luck with the repair...