replacement of roof

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
kathleen

replacement of roof

Post by kathleen » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:55 am

I have an 1968 MH and have updated alot. I have ran into a situation I hope you have ideas for. My roof will not longer take silvering and is leaking and saggy. I would like to put a new pitched, shingled roof on it, I don't think I have much choice. Would insurance cover a new roof? If not please help me find directions in doing so myself. Thanks Kathleen

David Oxhandler

Re: replacement of roof

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:32 am

Hello Kathleen -

You will have to ask your insurance company what they cover as policies from different companies in different states cover your problems differently. You can replace the old bow roof with a pitched one but this will have to include replacing the homes truss/rafter system with new pitched trusses. Do you or a family member or friend have the carpentry skills to build triangular trusses? You can special order them from a company that builds trusses. Either way your looking at a task that will require engineering, carpentry and roofing skills beyond most home ownersStart by talking to your insurance company to see how far they are willing to cover the expenses. There are several good alternatives that you should look into., like rolled rubber roofs and aluminum pans that probably will cost considerably less. Ask your insurance people about these possibilities too.
I like the Aluminum roof over systems that are designed to go directly over the existing roof. The require no special preparation. YOU can buy a kit that is custom made for your home and an experienced installer can cover a single wide in a single day. The picture is from Madden Metals Web Site You can visit them for more details

Duane Freeman

Re: replacement of roof

Post by Duane Freeman » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:21 am

Have a 14x70 home with a crown type truss,3/12 pitch with metal only. Metal strips about 6' to 8' run from side to side with a folded type seam. Is there a roof system that could be mounted on the existing roof that would give more of a pitch and allow for added insulation? Thanks. Duane.