loss of insurance due to hurricanes

Manufactured home insurance is different than other types of homeowner insurance. Resolve your questions and concerns here!
Lynda Rundberg

loss of insurance due to hurricanes

Post by Lynda Rundberg » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:07 pm

We own a double wide 1980 Fleetwood. Due to Hurricane Jeanne and Frances, our homw was declared totaled. We received insurance money and opted to repair. We don't know whether to sell this home as is or try to repair it with the hope that we can get insurance. We are worried that if we repair it and we can't get insurance, we will be stuck. What do you suggest?

Thank you.

Lynda and David Rundberg

Cindy Murray

Insurability of Mobile Homes

Post by Cindy Murray » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:19 am

Hi there,
I am an Realtor and Mortgage Oriiginator in Central FL with more than 20 years experience in FL real estate and understand your dilemma. My first question is did you talk to your current insurer about maintaining your coverage if you repair?If so, what type of deductible are you facing? Also, I am not sure exactly of your location in FL . That could make some difference, believe it or not.

If they choose to not re-insure you, then contact FL Insurance Commissioner, and ask what insurers are remaining active in the state for mobile homes. They have a complete list of all data under the State Mandated Insurance Program. You likely will find the answer to your question there. Here's the website to begin.

http://www.myflorida.com. They will give you some valuable insight into the expectations for the future.

Also, Due to the extreme losses experienced in MFD housing, Gov. Bush has an agenda to develop more affordable housing with more solid structure for folks . We'll see how that develops too, since we do have a lot of MFD housing in our state. . While that might not help you immediately, it is something to watch carefully over the next year or two in particular.

Hope this helps you. God Bless!

Cindy Murray, Realtor
Real Estate Consultant
Exit Realty Metro
Orlando, FL
V-407-588-1400

Mark

Re: Insurability of Mobile Homes

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:20 pm

First, find out what the meaning of 'totalled' means for your home, it may not be yours to repair unless you 'buy it back' from the insurance company. I think this would depend on how the home is considered (chattel or real property).

Just as important if they will continue to insure you, is what the premium will be. Last I heard, al the insurers are planning a rate hike and mfg home insurance is already higher than other homes as it is.

Erika Risley

Post by Erika Risley » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:50 pm

My husband inhertited a mobile home and it got damaged with
the Jeanne hurrican. The insurance only cover my mother-in-law, she never
added my husband name to the policy. She died April 23, 2004 and thei
nsurance company mail the check to us with her name on it.
We wrote letters and told them to change it to our name, because my
husband was on the title 2 years already. We looking for a good lawyer to
handle our case. Can you help. The home is in Fort Piece, Florida.
Thanks.

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:45 pm

The insurance company did their part. Those funds are now part of your mother in laws estate, and will have to be disbursed accordingly.

David Bennett

Post by David Bennett » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:40 pm

My wife and I own a nice 1991 Fleetwood Mfg. Home - 28x62. We are located in the Gulfbreeze Harbor Community on South Goldenrod near Rt. 15 - Narcoossee Rd.

Repairs from last years storms have been made. Our problem is that we have been notified that our Insurance Company will not be renewing policies on Mfg. Homes.

Please advise - and thank you. We are looking for $50,000 coverage - about the amount we have invested in our home.

David Bennett

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:42 pm