becoming a dealer

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
DANA FROSTE

becoming a dealer

Post by DANA FROSTE » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:18 am

I own a mobile home park. I have 10 lots almost ready for homes, 5 more soon, and 27 coming next year. I would like to become a dealer and set the homes up and sell them on my lots. how would I go about this?

rmurray

Re: becoming a dealer

Post by rmurray » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:25 pm

I would start by talking to the executive director of your states manufactured home association...Then I would be talking to the license authorities in your state....Once you get a license..I would make a point of going to a trade show in your part of the country..here you will be able to see many homes..meet many folks and find a lot of help with floorplanning...finance...insurance..and the many things involved..Good Luck

NC LANDHOME SERVICES LLC

Post by NC LANDHOME SERVICES LLC » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:47 pm

what state are you in?I'm looking to franchise out.I'm a modular dealer in North Carolina.

Pat Richardson

Post by Pat Richardson » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:51 am

I am in East Central Florida, which was recently devastated by Hurricanes Frances & Jeanne. Our area is home to many fulltime and winter residents. My estimate is that 90% suffered damage and 50-60% will be condemned. I am a Real Estate Broker with 25 years experience and I own a commercial building in this area. Any information you can share will be greatly appreciated. Pat

cindy

Post by cindy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:15 pm

Dana.........will you be selling the lots with the homes as a package or will you be leasing the lots and selling the homes? As a dealer and former park builder/owner and having faced a 7 year anti-trust lawsuit costing several millions of dollars, I would urge you to seek an attorney before proceeding. Under the Cartwright Act, it is illegal to require a person to purchase a home from you in order to rent a space. There may be a way around this by ordering the homes and placing them on your lots prior to offering them for sale. If you will be selling the lots and homes as a package, we were told that this would have been okay, but seek legal counsel before you go any further. An anti-trust attorney will be able to advise you in this matter.

louie

Post by louie » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:16 pm

I am looking to start a business in Indiana but i want to buy used and redo them and resell buy repos but not dealing with new i need to know i how and what i need to get started thanks Louie

Cindy

Post by Cindy » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:38 pm

Loius.........Every state has different requirements for licensing. In California our licensing is regulated by the Department of Housing and Community Development in Sacramento. Typically licensing has been rather easy to obtain, recently, however, the requirements have become more stringent. In years past mobile homes were regulated by the California Department of Motor Vehicles and all licensing was handled through this agency. I would suggest you start by contacting the Department of Housing and Community Development in your area. They will be able to direct you from there. Hope this helps.