when is enough, enough?

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
rock

when is enough, enough?

Post by rock » Sun Feb 10, 2002 7:22 am

A am a very successful salesman in the field. I got into this business about 3 years ago, and I absolutely love it. I have been in the top 5 in the nation (for my manufacturer) both of my full years in sales, and the top dog in my particular company all 3 years. Our sales center has been number 1 for our manufacturer 2 of the 3 years I have been involved with the company. Here's the problem. . . our GM treats the sales staff like absolute crap!!! At least once a week one of the salespeople gets publicly berated for something very minor. In our last sales meeting we got the big speech about "team work" and in closing he went on to say, "IF YOU DON'T DO THINGS MY WAY, I'LL MAKE YOUR LIFE F-CKING MISERABLE. I'LL HOLD UP YOUR CLOSINGS AND MAKE SURE NONE OF YOU MAKE ANY MONEY." What could possibly motivate someone to say something like that? I am kind of the de facto sales manager since none of the salespeople want to ever talk to the GM, so the sales people come to me to see what I make of the situation. I don't know what to tell them. We are obviously good sales people, we are #1. When is enough, enough. When do I go across the street and bury this loser? I have offers to go to competitors, but I do feel a little bit of loyalty to the owner of my company, so I really don't want to bury him, just the GM. Any Advise?

Dan O'Flaherty

Re: when is enough, enough?

Post by Dan O'Flaherty » Sun Feb 10, 2002 1:49 pm

If everything you say is true, you work for a gem!

I am constantly amazed when the people who actually bring in the dollars are treated like the trash that is taken out.

Good salespeople not only bring in money to the company but they also insure the image and reputation of the company they serve. Some GM's live back in the days when this business sold "trailers" and the people who purchased them had few other choices. Salespeople came and went and anyone could do the job.

Thoes were also the days when the homes were delivered and set in an afternoon and every problem was somebody elses fault. If you read these pages enought you will see that there are still some who do business that way.

No one should take that kind of abuse from a boss. He/she is supposed to run the company or retail outlet. It has yet to be proven that making people uncomfortable and un happy is a positive tool in making more sales.

Remember if your sales staff is doing as well as you say, you are making him look good and making him richer. Maybe it is time for a move. I would think that a well placed letter outlining your acomplishments, thanks and reason for leaving might be a much needed addition to the GM personal file. I would send the letter to both the GM and the owner of the company.

Look at this way, when you leave and take sales from the company you now work for, that will give the GM time to take that "people skills" training he seems to need.

DW Suiter

Post by DW Suiter » Thu Feb 14, 2002 3:18 am

How is the GM affecting the morale and attitude of the sales force?

Could sales be better with a different (better) GM?

I suggest soliciting comments from the sales force in a form of "employee questionnaire" with anonymous "names." Ask for time with the owner. Present these and your comments in a sincere manner of wanting to help the business.

If the owner does not want to make changes, the writing is on the wall. Either grin and bear it or find a better work environment.

No professional salesperson should be subjected to the abuse you report. The old "threat and fear" type management went out many years ago. A good GM leads and does not "push" or attempt to intimidate.

The sales department should be waited on hand and foot, by all supporting departments, including management.

DW Suiter
Consultant

mike

Post by mike » Thu Mar 07, 2002 4:36 pm

Do you work for the same guy I do. Sounds like him alot.

George P

Post by George P » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:33 pm

Your GM is a bully. Bullies are everywhere. Go to the company owner and lay it on the line. If the owner doesn''t want to can the GM, go to the competitor. Look out for yourself. Nobody else will.

Judy

Post by Judy » Sat May 25, 2002 9:25 pm

Hi Rock, I am a GM and I would give my right arm to have salespeople like you on my team. Leave it all to him and see him cry. Need a job, call me. Good luck, Judy

rock

Post by rock » Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:00 pm

UPDATE!!!!
I almost forgot about this site. I looked it up and saw all the replies and want to say thank you. I have since left that guy, and the dealership I went to is now up over 100% in sales for the year, and the place I left is down over 40% from what I am hearing from the salespeople that are still suffering there. For all you GM's out there, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.
Rock