Checking it out--moving double-wide to land

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Rita

Checking it out--moving double-wide to land

Post by Rita » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:17 pm

I'm just beginning to check out the feasibility of moving my double-wide from a MHP to land that I will purchase. I looked for a helpful book on this site, but the Buyers Guide to Manufactured Homes and Land, according to the table of contents, isn't it. Has anyone seen a book that might help, or does anyone know of a website? I want to be sure that I don't miss any steps. I haven't even begun to seriously look at land; that's how preliminary this is! I did contact a realtor in the county in which I'm interested, and he stated that double-wides are not considered "mobile homes." I contacted my credit union, which would do a construction loan for the purchase of the land/moving the home. Then there would be permanent financing for a new loan. That is all I''ve done.

I don't want any surprises....

rmurray

Re: Checking it out--moving double-wide to land

Post by rmurray » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:28 am

Sounds like you are well on the way to success....Make sure you find a quality moving crew..and make sure they understand any special requirements that your finance source requires...

Go for it..

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:48 am

Don't trust the realtor!

Call the countys Zoning and Planing board and find out for sure.
It's possible mobile homes aren't even allowed in the area you want to put it, and now is the time to find that out, not after you'd signed a note on the land!

thomas

Post by thomas » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:19 pm

I agree with the above Poster, don't just take his work for it. Different everywhere.
But, Before you begin that process, what year is your Home? Sometimes well most times, it's better for everyone [especially you] to buy new and sell the old. Don't get caught in the TRADE most people lose there @@@ on that. But, If you love the home, it's in good shape, and you don't mind the packing to put back Go for it.
Good Luck

Rita

Post by Rita » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:40 pm

Thanks, everyone.

Does anybody else know of any publications/sites that might help me?

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:29 am

The US ARMY has publications on almost every topic and manufactured housing is no exception. They have an Administrative Publication on line that outlines procedures for moving a MH from one army base to another.

The file is in PDF format and was written in 1992. The flyer offers the home owner check lists of what they need to do in and around their MH before, during and after the move.

A few of the chapters that can apply to non-military moves:

SHOULD I MOVE MY MOBILE HOME?
WHAT YOU CANNOT SHIP IN YOUR MOBILE HOME
PREMOVE INVENTORY
PREMOVE REQUIREMENTS
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
MOBILE HOME CARRIER’S RESPONSIBILITIES
BEFORE THE CARRIER ARRIVES
SECURING YOUR MOBILE HOME
READY TO ROLL
AT DESTINATION

You can view the full file at www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/p740_2.pdf

webmaster

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:10 pm

Great link...I have bookmarked it..

Christine Haskell

Post by Christine Haskell » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:22 am

Hello,

I too am moving my DH to land that I purchased. It has been really difficult to find out any info! I did check to make sure mobiles were allowed on the land we bought. And that the improvements were there and hooked up. The thing I have the most questions about is the actual moving the house part. I downloaded the UG Govt. PDF. I have called several mobile home movers, and gotten wildly different estimates. All are sight unseen (and site unseen too. :-) but finally I did find one mover that gave me a lot of advice...such as making sure that the estimate included things like the permits, and that the movers had a permanent crew, not just day labor, and that they were familiar with the brand of home you have. There are a lot of little details, and where I live (Texas) you need to pay the property tax on your home before you can move it. Also, the park has a lot of rules about moving the home. Yikes! Still, in the long run, it will be better for us to move our existing home than to sell at a loss and buy another one. So far. :-)

Anyway, my two cents here. I would appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone has too!

Thank you,
Christine Amaryllis

Darl, Nevada Home Financing

Post by Darl, Nevada Home Financing » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:30 am

I am a mortgage broker specializing in manufactured home financing and I finance several moves each year. As some of the other posts have stated a lot depends on regulations in your area. Here we simply need a permit to locate the home on the land and a final inspection once the home is set. You didn't mention financing as that can be incorporated in the move to pay-off the land, MH, or both plus contractors doing the site preparation. This is also a good time to construct a garage or other out-buildings.

This is the order I would do this move; First find out what permits are needed and their cost. Next get bids for a well or a city water connection, sewer, electric, foundation system, mover, garage, and any other items needed to make your home liveable. If financing is needed this is the time to apply with all bids in-hand. If you will be financing most people try to get the contractors to agree to payment upon completion and funding of the loan. Their bill will be paid out of escrow. If you are unable to work this out with the contractors and financing is needed you may be able to obtain interim financing in the form of a construction loan.
If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them here or you can call our toll-free number 866-286-4026 in Reno, NV. We are only licensed in Nevada so any information I give will be based on our experience here in this state.
Good Luck on your move!
Darl Wilson

Rita

Post by Rita » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:08 pm

Thanks everyone!