Is MH a protected asset in Florida?

The Art & Science of marketing Manufactured Homes. Retailers, sales people community operators and managers share experiences.
Sharon O'Day

Is MH a protected asset in Florida?

Post by Sharon O'Day » Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:08 am

If you own a MH outright with no liens, but not the land it is sitting on (you're leasing the pad in a MH park), is the MH considered 'homestead' under Florida law and therefore exampted from creditors?

rmurray

Re: Is MH a protected asset in Florida?

Post by rmurray » Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:03 pm

Check with a bankruptcy attorney...I think so...

Muriel

Post by Muriel » Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:32 am

I'm afraid not in Brevard County. To qualify for homestead, one must OWN the land too. I do suggest that you contact your tax assessor in your community and I know he will have the answer for you.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:35 pm

Hi Sharon,

I've specialized in bankruptcy law for 20 years as a paralegal and can tell you that yes, your home is exempt from creditors under a Ch. 13, with exceptions. The federal homestead exemption is $16,150 (double that if you are married & both own the home.) If your home is worth, say $20,000, the Trustee will most likely not go after the $3,750 (balance after exemption), because the cost to recover that amount thru sale of your home would not be cost effective -- in another words it would cost the Trustee more to recover the $3,750 than it would be worth and it would probably have little effect on the amount owed to your creditors. If you filed Ch. 13, designed to save your home from foreclosure, then you are repaying your creditors under a court-mandated plan. If you filed Ch. 7, you have not saved your home from your creditors.

You need to check your state's homestead exemptions also. If the state of Florida uses state exemptions other than federal, the dollar amount may vary.

Have you actually filed bankruptcy or are you considering it? If you have not filed, seek counsel from a qualified bankruptcy attorney who will probably offer a free initial consultation. If you have filed using an attorney, get advice from him. If you filed pro se, you can still get useful legal advice thru your local legal aid office.

Good luck. I'm not an attorney & cannot give legal advice. But if you have any questions, you can email me at [email protected]

Elizabeth

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:19 pm

Actually there is NO limit on the exempt value of a home in Florida...This is one of the reasons Congress is trying to change to laws...

Very rich folks by Million dollar homes...live there 6 months and file...protecting their home...

John Merchant,Esq.

Post by John Merchant,Esq. » Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:05 pm

Frequently your local or State Bar Association will print informational brochures on common topics like this, and the FAQ's that exist re that topic.

To see if FL Bar has, give their main number a call, and you can learn where to get one of the free brochures. It'll provide you LOTS of info.