Set up costs?

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
Wes Crawford

Set up costs?

Post by Wes Crawford » Mon May 10, 2004 11:43 am

I am being qouted $9500 for setting a triple wide; this includes setting and putting together of the three sides and the roof. The foundation is costing 9k also.
Also, the price of finishing the home(inside) is 7k.
Is this reasonable/average? I live in northern Cal, near Eureka.
Thanks,

DeLaina

Re: Set up costs?

Post by DeLaina » Thu May 13, 2004 11:44 pm

Are they crazy is the Dealer being the General Contractor or are these bids you had to go get on your own.

DeLaina

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri May 14, 2004 5:34 am

Of course they are crazy...they are in CA...Everything seems to cost twice as much..

jgn

Post by jgn » Fri May 14, 2004 7:17 am

Is this a new home? If you are pouring a full slab than the 9k is not out of line but if it is a new home most dealers include the delivery, setup and finish-out as part of the price, you are paying for it you just do see it. If you are being quoted seperate for everything than take a look at the total package and make the decision but I would shop around a 200 mile area and get other quotes. Whatever you do make sure everything is in writing and have an attorney look it over. I know of several people who had the "oh thats not included in the price" like one who was charged an additional $1500 because they had to enter over a low water crossing and had to shore it up, guess their site man missed that but his attorney didn't. and the charge went away.

Art

Post by Art » Fri May 14, 2004 8:21 am

Wes,

Prices don't seem too far off. I had a DW setup in Lake County 2 years ago and foundation cost was $8,640, setup cost was $7550.00, delivery charge was $4216.00. My entire cost ran about $40,000.00 but that did include everything (garage, driveway, septic, permits, grading, foundation, sidewalk, etc., etc.).

Art

martha

Post by martha » Fri May 14, 2004 5:07 pm

A dealership here in the Central valley (of California) told use they will do a foundation for 5000 a section. I don't know what kind that entails and was just a figure thrown out to us at our first visit so I don't know if they have in wiggle room there....

Michele

Post by Michele » Sun May 16, 2004 2:21 pm

Crazy isn't it? Yeah, we got similar quotes for a triple wide - California costs are outrageous. The MH dealer quoted us, and an outside contractor quoted, and they weren't very far off. I figure the grading (this is a pretty darn flat location), foundation (not a slab), and other costs necessary just to inhabit the house add about $40k or so to the cost.

On the other hand, building a traditional stick frame house here in CA is $200 to $250/sq ft assuming you're not doing anything fancy! And you'll still need to take care of all the interior finishing...

Karen

Post by Karen » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:38 am

Your nightmare is the reason I have suggested on many posts to be your own "contractor". I went and got all of my own quotes, took out a construction loan and I am orchestrating the deal. When the house gets here, I will call my guy who will put in the dig out, septik, plumbing and wiring,then the manufactured home dealer sends out his guy (dealer paid) who tapes and closes it.

Good luck to you.