Picking a 55+ Community

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Debby

Picking a 55+ Community

Post by Debby » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:15 am

Hubby and I are considering relocating to Florida. We have friends who live in Sebring, FL. We would like to stay along the US 27 corridor in central Florida but be closer to attractions in Orlando and Tampa. We are focusing on Polk County and/or Highlands County. Can anyone recommend a good gated active retirement community which offers great scenery, good golfing, casual social activities and better quality manufactured homes. Communities that allow pets are also a necessity (two dogs)

We've heard the pros of buying resales vs. new homes. Do all parks usually charge the same "ballpark" fees for setting up, or do some gouge more than others?

What things do you look for, questions to ask when picking out a location?

We're making another trip down there this summer to look at locations, hoping to make our choice and then seriously buy within next 1-2 years.

Thanks,
Debby

David Oxhandler

Re: Picking a 55+ Community

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:55 am

Orange Acres Ranch features Affordable country living in both land lease rates and new doublewide homes. Ideally situated in the heart of Central Florida, Orange Acres Ranch is an adult (over 55) planed community. What a beautiful place to live ! Surrounded by orange groves and lakes where friendly neighbors share a sense of wellbeing enhanced by common interests. Visit their web site

Alexandra Gibson

Post by Alexandra Gibson » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:53 am

Dear Debby,

I've been selling manufactured homes in 55+ communities since 1994. I've sold homes in many communities in Polk County and now sell homes in Sebring! If you want a home in Sebring be sure to visit Tanglewood. It is a five star, gated 55+ community that surpasses all others that I have seen in Highlands County. If you want to look at homes in Polk County, contact Nadine Greene at Action Resales in Lakeland. Action Resales is an independent company specializing in selling pre-owned manufactured homes in 55+ communities in Polk & Hillsboro counties. You can visit Tanglewood's website at
www.tanglewd.com and you can visit Action Resales' website at
www.actionresales.com

Visit both and you will have seen the best of the best.

Alex Gibson

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:51 am

For a listing of over 300 homes FOR SALE in communitys in Florida You can search the Manufactured housing Multiple Listing Service.

Click HERE to view the homes in Fla communitys now.

Eva

Post by Eva » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:07 pm

Hi, we are in the process of thinking along the same line, for us my daughter and grandchildren have summer home in Orlando and her in-laws are around Clearwater, so for us Sebring/Avon Park is the right area to relocate. We found out what it seems the best community and will visit to see first hand how things are, it is TANGLEWOOD (you can find link at www.tanglewd.com and the address is: 3000 Tanglewood Parkway, Sebring, FL 33872 phone: 1-800--386-4545 and email: [email protected] They send me a pack of information about Tanglewood, a scenic, 350-acre community for active retirees, includind floor plans to many of their Model Homes, starting at low $60,000 for 2/2 called LIVE OAK, that I plan to visit and sign for it soon.... Of special interest to me is their variety of activities in that gated community under an activities director such as: Tanglewood plays host to many entertainment events such as concerts. • Street Dances • Breakfasts
• Fire Rings with Live Music & Dancing • Outdoor Bashes with Live Music & Dancing • Resident Appreciation Day * Health Clinics * Health Seminars
• Chili Cook-offs • Ladies Luncheon • Hobby Shows • State Parties
• Annual Garage Sales • Wine & Cheese Events • Vegas Nights • Sock Hops
• Mixers • Valentines Parties • Thanksgiving Dinners • New Year’s Dance & Party • Super Bowl Parties… also have: 3 big screens with surround sound in the community building!
Looking forward to relocating there and perhaps meeting you also as a neighbor! : )

Vic

Post by Vic » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:13 pm

Wow, Eva! are you sure you are a client and not a salesperson for Tanglewood?! : ) My mother showed me your comments, she wants me to bring her down to take a look at buying something for her there NOW!! I know that if the place is half as good as you think, that she will be happy there... thank you!

Mary Ellen Chace

Post by Mary Ellen Chace » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:02 pm

We are looking for a mobile home community in Polk, Lake, Osceola or Orange where the land is purchased also. We have heard of the Co-op parks where the residents own a piece of the community and have a 99 year lease.

Do you know of any communities such as this?

Thanks,
Mary Ellen Chace

Sue

Post by Sue » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:07 pm

My husband and I relocated from up north to Tanglewood 2 yrs ago and are very pleased that we did so. The residents are very friendly and the community is very clean and well-kept. We were here for the 2004 and 2005 hurricane season (rarely a threat to Sebring) and the homes stood up very well to the storms. We were very satisfied with the quality of workmanship in our Homes of Merit home and would recommend them to anyone. One thing that you want to be sure to do when looking at homes for sale, is make sure the sales staff shows the resale homes and not just the new homes. There are many resales in the park, our's is one, and the sales staff is very hesitant to show them because it's easier and more profitable for them to show and sell the new homes. The resales have so much to offer, including upgrades and the little things that a buyer doesn't think of to be done (phone/cable jacks, window tinting, etc). Many are even offered for sale already furnished. We, along with other residents with homes for sale, are very disgusted with the sales staff not showing or advising clients of our homes for sale. Tanglewood has many activities for all ages of 55+, including golf at the nicest courses in Sebring/Avon Park at group discounted rates. Good luck!!!

Jaci

Post by Jaci » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi All, We have also been looking for a good retirement community in the Sebring area. We vacation in Florida and discovered the wonderful area of Sebring purely by accident. I agree that Tanglewood is a great community but we have reservations about a 300-400 dollar monthly fee. We feel that we worked hard many years to be debt-free and that moving to Tanglewood would cost more than we are willing to pay. We understand that the fees are for the recreation and amnenities, but it is still alot to pay. We can afford it but we would like to look further for other communities in Central Florida that would offer cheaper monthly fees. Any ideas or comments???

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:15 pm

Hi,

My husband and I purchased a manufactured home in Winter Garden's Vista del Lago (a gated community). Since the house was brand new home, we did not have to pay lot rent for 12 months. After the 12th month we started paying $285.00 per month and although we only owned the home for two years, by the end of the second year we were paying $315.00...which is one of the reasons we sold the house. Also, the home insurance company sent us a letter informing us that once the insurance expired, we would need to shop for new insurance...they were no longer doing business in Florida. When I went shopping, the premium had doubled from $540. to $1,100., another reason why we sold the house. We purchased the home as a second home (we live in Iowa) so we had an adjustable rate mortage...I shopped around for a fixed rate mortage and had no luck finding a bank to refinance us...the bank holding the original mortgage merged with another bank and would not do the refinance since the home was on a leased lot...another reason why we sold the house.

If you're looking to buy in a decent community, you'll have to pay anywhere from $300 - $400. per month for lot rent and it increases by at least $15.00 per year.

I've been looking on the internet for another manufactured home but this time I'll buy it with the land and pay the real estate taxes. There are some nice homes in Lecanto which I've seen advertised for $109,000. including 1/3 acre. I'll be going there this July to check them out.

Ciao!