Schult Homes?

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
Karl

Schult Homes?

Post by Karl » Fri May 09, 2003 6:14 pm

I live in Indiana and am currently in the process of trying to find a home. I am looking at existing properties as well as a new manufactured. I have been looking at Schult Homes. Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback on this maker? Also, what are the basic structural questions I should be asking to ensure I am buying a well built unit?

sabrina

well built home of any make

Post by sabrina » Sun May 11, 2003 9:34 am

hi karl,
i can't advise you on schult but i thought these websites would be helpful in answering your second question?
consumersunion.org
energystar.gov
manhousingfoundation.com

i used to consult to epa/doe. i learned a lot about energy efficiency. it is a great way to "grade" or evaluate how well a home is built. the more energy efficient, generally the better built (and more expensive!!).

i looked up a lot of floor plans on net and got them from dealers. i cut and pasted to make a floor plan i really liked. then, i contacted the "dream home" manufacturer for my state. it's called colorado dream homes. this line of partial stick built/partial manufactured home has an exceptional energy rating of 87 (it goes up to 100). they average $75/sqft. they have 12" thick walls, r38 throughout (not just roof), vinyl siding guananteed for a lifetime (!) and a propanel roof that the industry has proven is extremely low maintenance and is also guaranteed a lifetime. i think many states have dream home contractors. try bbb of your area or do a search with your state in front of 'dreamhome.com'. the reason they are not building for me is this builder requires 1,500sqft minimum. that's too much home for me.

i am trying an experiment.i looked up a lot of floor plans on net and got them from dealers. i cut and pasted to make a floor plan i really liked. then, i take the specs of the dream home and ask the dealer how close they can come to the specs and floor plan and how much it will cost. in this way, i am comparing all dealers/brands to the same standard.

mr. murray said to go 250mi to all dealers available.

if you'd like to get an update on my progress, you can email me and remind me.
:-)
sabrina
[email protected]

Michael P. Miller

Re: well built home of any make

Post by Michael P. Miller » Mon May 12, 2003 5:59 am

I'am also lookng for the same information put not really getting the information I need to make a decision. Any help would be appreciated

Gary

Post by Gary » Mon May 12, 2003 9:26 am

Hello, I work for the largest and most successful manufactured housing developer in the southern Indiana and Ohio areas. Shult makes a tremendous home, we work with them. We also sell Redman and Patriot, which also make great homes from an amenity and build quality standpoint. Our specialty is land/home. If you have any questions feel free to call me, Gary, at 877-353-2494 or shoot me an e-mail. Gary

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon May 12, 2003 1:21 pm

If you were here to be helpful..instead of prospecting..you would have mentioned to this poster that Schult Homes are owned by Oakwood...and that Oakwood is currently in bankruptcy..and may or may not make it out..If they do not make it out of bankruptcy...they are unlikely to honor warranty...

Gary

Post by Gary » Tue May 13, 2003 8:10 am

rmurray, if you truly had any business sense you would know that within each large parent company (despite it's overall success or lack thereof) there are business units that individually succeed or fail. Schult is succeeding rather nicely, and I would suspect that if the mother ship goes belly up the successful individual units would remain in business by going on their own or being purchased by another successful parent. Start adding value in this forum please.

BobG

Post by BobG » Wed May 14, 2003 10:36 am

You sure haven't been here long have you Gary? One of the most valued posters here is rmurray. He posts frequently, accurately and isn't trolling for customers. I'm sure anyone would welcome another insiders p.o.v. in this forum, most of us can use all the help we can get.

If I was purchasing a home, I'd be very much interested if any part of a parent company was going bankrupt. But I guess it's to much to expect a salesperson to provide this information upfront. The stereotype is safely maintained.

sabrina

are you going to honor warranty?

Post by sabrina » Wed May 14, 2003 2:38 pm

hi gary,
i guess that's my question too?
if the parent of schult does go bk, are you going to pay the costs and honor warranties and i mean you yourself as a business owner?
there is a schult home dealer near me. i do want to go look at the homes but i too would want someone in your position to inform me straight away that despite the parent company, you would honor all agreements PERSONALLY.
would you?
sabrina

Iguess

Re: are you going to honor warranty?

Post by Iguess » Wed May 14, 2003 4:41 pm

I guess he would not. I have looked at a lot of homes from many companies. I've seen many Schults of varying degrees of quality. They seem to be an average builder. Chief Industries, Highland and Patriot seem to have consistently better quality, and at better prices.

rmurray

Re: are you going to honor warranty?

Post by rmurray » Thu May 15, 2003 1:37 am

You are lucky enough to be representing the Schult product from one of the original Schult plants....When OH bought Schult, they prosituted the lable and started to use it on homes built in GA, TX and other areas...These homes have NO relation to what you sell...This is a national board and the brand name Schult means nothing anymore...Only specfic construction features do...

You are right...The old Schult plants will continue..as well as Marlette and Golden West.....but...they new owners will have absolutely NO obligation to stand by any warranty of the former company...

If you work for such a good company...I would recommend that you protect your customers from the worst situation by giving FREE 2/10 warranties...These kick in if the company files bankruptcy....2/10 is not the only company selling these warranties..there are others..