double wide full basement???

The central location on the web for the owners of manufactured homes to share their experiences.
cheryl Loconte

double wide full basement???

Post by cheryl Loconte » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:32 pm

Hello everyone!!! I have been lurking here for some time now finally decided to post.
Some really great info here . Well here it goes we now reside in a park own a 1995 liberty double wide a aniversary addition. We are purchasing our own land and moving it.
Here is the problem my husband insists on a full basement.
He called liberty had them send him blue prints ect for the basement.
Of course the entrance will be outside not in .
I have not read one person here say anything about having a full basement
I am afraid to do this to many horror stories which he says is because they were not done correctly.. I also feel the cost is just to high for that.
I feel a permanent foundation of some sort is idealistic yes .but full basement ??
I think the money would better be spent on a gararage and maybe a nice big addition .
Does anyone have a full basement and what was the total cost?
Was it worth it?
Any horor stories ?
Pros cons?
I would appreciate any imput on this...
Can it be done to last like a stick built???

Thank you

Sherry

Re: double wide full basement???

Post by Sherry » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:58 pm

Sometimes it is hard to get info on this, as i too have been looking. From what I can determine more and more MF are being placed on basements. In a few years we hope to do the same. We are told that here in WI it will cost $10,000-15,000. My husband really wants the basement so that we can use the space for living and also as an aid to insulation here in the cold. You would need to have it done correctly for sure to avoid problems. Check out this site also www.mobilehomerepair.com. Look at the posts for the last number of days as i have been getting some info there about basements. Hope that helps.
sherry

cheryl Loconte

Post by cheryl Loconte » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:17 pm

Hello Sherri Thanks !!
Well I live in Pa. very cold winters here also one of his reasons is that also.
I have had several estimates The basement itself costing around $10,000-$13,000
The extra I-beams another $2,000 to $3,000 the extra escavating $7,000
and the crane ah the crane to lift it up onto the foundation another $4,000
in addition to the original cost to move it and set up which is $5,000
A very big expense. And I am not to sure no extra costs will creep up along the way. Assuming my figures are correct it doesn't seem worth the added expense to me.
That's why I posted to see if I am wrong about these expenses or not.
Also it is kinda hard to get all this approved for a loan because all said and done
is the house going to be worth what the cost was?

Let me know Sherri if this is what you were encluding with your basement.
Thank you
Cheryl

chase

Post by chase » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:43 pm

that would a fairly close estimate . it can be done but as you see will cost you. the maufacturer usually has a plan for a basment set and it was a good idea to check with them first. it can be done and in the long run would be very handy, but do it right the first time , a leaky basemant is a real pain.

Sherry

Post by Sherry » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:42 pm

Thank you too for the info. I was assuming the price I was quoted was for the concrete and excavation. (Perhaps it is just for the concrete.) I didn't realize about the extra cost you were describing. I will have to continue my investigation. We are also considering a modular home where the home would already be basement ready and the extra cost of the crane for set up are included in the final cost. We are at the budgeting stage and are trying to get a fairly good idea of what we need to plan for, so again thanks for the info.
sherry

cheryl

Post by cheryl » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:29 pm

hello Thanks for the replies. I wish I had some more imput on this though.
Well Sherri you need to so some Math and see for the total cost what would give you more home for the money. Personally if I could do it again I would go Modular.
Do yourself a favor go Modular .

Bill

Post by Bill » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:26 pm

I would definately recommend a basement over a crawl any day. The real cost differential between a crawl and a basement here in Michigan is around 6-7k, last time I checked, but it's been awhile. Definately shop this around. I don't think the cost to set up the house would be any different whether it's a crawl space or a basement.

Your basement will offer lots of premium storage space for stuff that I personally would not want to clutter up a garage with. I would have gladly paid an extra 6k to have a basement under our house, but it was an existing house, plus it's on water, so a basement is out of the question anyway.

We had a manufactured home set up on a lot about 10 years ago. It was brand new at the time. We only lived there about 2 years. We had a very hard time selling it because it didn't have a basement or a garage. Obviously a garage is easy enough to put up, but not the case if you don't have a basement.

Also, if you're in such a position that you can actually choose between a manufactured or a modular, I would wholeheartedly recommend a modular over a manufactured. We love our manufactured home, but financing is a royal PITA. Most mortgage companies want nothing to do with manufactured housing, even if it's on a private lot. Sure you can get them financed, but you will severly limit your future buyers if you should choose to sell at some point. I'm refinancing mine now, and am having a difficult time finding any mortgage company that will allow me to unlock my equity, and give me a good rate. Seems like there's always a penalty because it's a manufactured home.

By the same token, if this house were NOT a manufactured home, we wouldn't have been able to afford it, since it's on water.

If you DO decide to go with a crawl rather than a basement, I would highly advise you to go at least 4 blocks, but preferably 5 if possible. My house is on a 3 block high foundation, and it's miserable to access it because of the steel frame that hangs down. It does have a poured floor, and I use a mechanic's creeper to get around under there. Still too tight though.

chase

Post by chase » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:40 pm

i just looked in my set up manuals and there were diagram for a basement set, palm harbor gave very detailed one, if my scanner wasnt on the fritz i could send you one. check a setup manual if you have access to one

cheryl

Post by cheryl » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:10 pm

Thanks Chase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!