Welcome

Industry pros offer their experience in manufactured housing to help first time buyers to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
David Oxhandler

Welcome

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Oct 19, 2000 12:38 am

Welcome to the new " First Time Home Buyers Forum".

"An educated consumer is a power buyer"

A wide search of the internet has shown us that there is not much available in the way of manufactured home consumer support. The operators of the Manufactured Housing Global Network are pleased to dedicate this small slice of cyberspace to the group that ultimately pays the salaries if all industry participants, the HOME BUYER.

These discussions are moderated by Randy Eaton, author of "How To Buy A Manufactured-Mobile Home And Save Thousands Of Dollars" . . Please feel free to voice your questions and concerns. Through these pages you can take advantage of Randy's years of experience in manufactured housing to make informed decisions with confidence and peace of mind.
If you see any items or issues that you would like to add your experiences or additional questions to click on the link that says "Reply To This Message" and contribute to the discussion as often as you like.

Thanks for visiting us on line.

webmaster

Randy Eaton

RE: Welcome

Post by Randy Eaton » Sat Oct 21, 2000 9:51 am

Hello Kelly,

Where do you live?

Randy Eaton

Randy Eaton

Post by Randy Eaton » Thu Oct 26, 2000 1:00 pm

Hello Jeannie,

Thanks for sending my your questions. I am not familiar with that particular manufacturer but I do have some suggestions. Be sure to beef up the floors in your home to 2x8's floor joists. Have your home completely taped and textured, 1/2' sheet-rock or better. Solid wood cabinets are advisable, oak, maple or pine and 2x6 exterior walls on 16" O.C. I would also go with the most insulation possible. The roof load should be 30lbs or better and if you can afford lap siding I would recommend it, have a great day.

Randy Eaton

Ronni Levy

Post by Ronni Levy » Sat Oct 28, 2000 10:48 am

Dear Randy,
We are first time buyers looking for a used MH in a 55+ community in the Stuart, FL area. We have *no* idea what we're looking at although both of us are experienced Real Estate brokers, retired for 10 years now. I was a residential appraiser and my husband was in finance. The sales agents talk to us in terms of models and we don't know one from the other. Is there is list somewhere? Should we have a professional inspector look at the house before we buy? And lastly, and I know this is a biggy - what else don't we know?
Ronni

Randy Eaton

RE: Used Mfg Homes

Post by Randy Eaton » Sat Oct 28, 2000 11:48 am

Hello Ronni,

Good question, my book on, ”How to buy a manufactured home and save thousands of dollars” deals with structural integrity and what to look for in a quality built Mfg. Home. You can get a copy at, http://mfdhousing.com/randy_eaton/ Typically a home that is only 5 years old is going to be your best constructed home. I would concentrate on 2x6 exterior walls, sheet rock through-out and solid wood cabinets. I would also make sure the home is well insulated with vinyl windows. Here is a link that Consumer Reports did on Mfg homes at, http://www.consumerreports.org/Special/ ... 02hom0.htm

Hope this helps,

Randy Eaton

Jeannie

Post by Jeannie » Mon Oct 30, 2000 12:22 pm

I'm in need of some information regarding living in an adult community that has it's "own" models to choose from. My husband and I have a deposit on a lot in a mobile home community. We looked at another dealer and found a much better
quality built home, bigger and at a far more reasonable price. It was the we relaized the mark-up on these homes. Our problem is, according to the park we
will be living in, they have siad we have to buy from their models or manufacturers, and not bring another home they do not have as a model in there. The difference in cost is amazing when compared. How do we stand on this issue? Is there a law
somewhere regarding this? In the park we are renting a lot from them and of course also hooking up to the utilities provided. It seems to us, maybe we're wrong, but they will miss out on a big commision if we don't buy their choosen
models and manufacturers. We did pick out one of their models but nor committed yet, we still have 6 months before the lot and utilities are in, but after
doing research and looking into a dealership with many models, we picked one
out there, a much better built home and alot less money for the same the park would give. Please help with any advise you have to offer.
Thank you
Jeannie

Randy Eaton

Post by Randy Eaton » Mon Oct 30, 2000 1:37 pm

Hello Jeannie,

Many retailers today own and operate manufactured home developments. Some are small and modest, others are large and up-scale. There are many advantages to moving into a development. One advantage is stricter covenants that help maintain the residential appeal of the community for many years to come. Other advantages are; clubhouses for community activities, swimming pools, play areas for children and gated perimeters for added security. For those wanting a turnkey situation a development may also be the answer. In most cases your retailer will control all aspects of construction like, site preparations, permits, and landscaping. Also, the retailer will usually do attached garages, decks and fencing. If you’re considering a development your retailer has the upper hand, it may be difficult to negotiate the price down. They have the right to sell whatever product at whatever price. The manufacturer or retailer has taken a big risk in developing the community and will make a larger profit for taking such a risk.

Randy Eaton

KAREN

Post by KAREN » Tue Oct 31, 2000 10:06 am

I AM INTERESTED IN BUYING A HOME I HAVE THREE CHILDREN I NEED A HOME FOR MYSELF AND THEM I REALLY CAN NOT AFFORD MUCH PLEASE HELP ME ... I DO MAKE 37,000.00 /YEAR, IF THAT TELL YOU SOMETHING PLEASE HELP THANKS KAREN

Randy Eaton

Post by Randy Eaton » Wed Nov 01, 2000 12:37 pm

Hello Karen,

I would first research out my options in regards to financing. Find out how much you can afford, what cab you afford for payments per month? After you know what you can afford, shop at least 4 or 5 retailers in your area. Try to focus on getting the best built home for your money. 2x6 exterior walls, sheet rock 1/2" or better through out, solid wood cabinets and the best installation package availiable. Here is a link you can shop on-line for a Mfg. loan at,
https://ssl.xpr.com/mfdhousing/mhcredit/shop.php3 You can also figure your mortgage payments at, https://ssl.xpr.com/mfdhousing/mhcredit/shop.php3 Hope this helps Karen, have a great day.

Randy Eaton

Debbie Kendrick

directions

Post by Debbie Kendrick » Wed Nov 08, 2000 12:28 pm

We have a mobile that is 53 years old and would like to replace it with a new one.
How do we start??? Can we buy directly from the factory or do we have to deal with a retailer?? We live in Florida and our land is 55 x 55. We already have a septic and a well? We are on a fixed income of S.S. so our budget is a concern however struture is a concern also. How do we have our old one removed??
Thank You for your advice..